Chefs first AR build

Chef

What weight ammo?   The 75g fmj AE cheap stuff?

Yea, It was shooting great, I’m having a few issues with the gas system in terms of rounds it will lock the bolt back on, it will lock back the AE and the federal premium 80.5 Berger OTM

It will not lock back Hornady black 75, federal 90 SmK, or federal 78 TSX, i way have to lighten the buffer weight a bit. Overall it shoots great and has almost no kick

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

6 minutes ago, Chef said:

Yea, It was shooting great, I’m having a few issues with the gas system in terms of rounds it will lock the bolt back on, it will lock back the AE and the federal premium 80.5 Berger OTM

It will not lock back Hornady black 75, federal 90 SmK, or federal 78 TSX, i way have to lighten the buffer weight a bit. Overall it shoots great and has almost no kick

Can you just increase gas pressure?

I backed the screw all the way out and it still won’t cycle those rounds it’s actually kind of strange the first two it will no problem even on a very low gas setting

3 minutes ago, Chef said:

I backed the screw all the way out and it still won’t cycle those rounds it’s actually kind of strange the first two it will no problem even on a very low gas setting

Bolt lubed up?   If so I guess next option is lighter buffer.  But good that it’s accurate.  You will fix the cycling issue.  

So I just took some stuff apart it seems like the bolt carrier is having a tough time meeting up with the gas tube. The tube seems pretty aligned but unlike on my other rifles I seem to have to force it a bit more to get the bolt home

12 minutes ago, Chef said:

So I just took some stuff apart it seems like the bolt carrier is having a tough time meeting up with the gas tube. The tube seems pretty aligned but unlike on my other rifles I seem to have to force it a bit more to get the bolt home

Good catch.   This may help.  Sounds like gas tube and a not aligned.  

https://www.thehighroad.org/index.php?threads/gas-tube-clicks-against-bolt-carrier.387830/

Just checked one of mine.  Hold upper sideways but level and pull bolt back.   Then start tipping barrel down.   The gas shroud covers gas tube at maybe 20 degrees tip - ie not much force - as gravity move bolt forward.    Worth a check to see if it’s alignment.  

Edited by moog5050

Just checked one of mine.  Hold upper sideways but level and pull bolt back.   Then start tipping barrel down.   The gas shroud covers gas tube at maybe 20 degrees tip - ie not much force - as gravity move bolt forward.    Worth a check to see if it’s alignment.  

I played around with mine this morning,
It seemed to be fine. I did pull the tube and block and reinstall. If that didn’t work I will try a lighter buffer weight. I guess I’ll have to wait till Wednesday and see

Just a quick update, I checked the gas key today for leeks, couldn’t find any. Re aligned the gas block and tube that is all set. Tomorrow or Wednesday I will try putting the upper on a known working lower to see how that works. If that fails I will swap out the bolt carrier for one I know functions.

Hoping this helps me find my answer

Also I did notice the buffer spring is a bit on the Long side for a carbine. It’s 11.75 inches when standard is 10.5-11.25 so maybe that is playing into it.

So she’s a shooter and is cycling some ammo and not others, hopefully I can get to the bottom of this.

So good news I went to the range today and swapped lowers. It is for sure either the buffer weight or spring as it functioned perfectly on my other Lower. I have a spare carbine buffer here and ordered a new spring

• Like 2

So good news I went to the range today and swapped lowers. It is for sure either the buffer weight or spring as it functioned perfectly on my other Lower. I have a spare carbine buffer here and ordered a new spring

Have you looked at the Tubbs flat spring?

Sent from my SM-G965U using Tapatalk