How about a varmint forum?

Bernie P.

There's a world of difference between hunting varmints vs small game.The size of the critters and the methods to hunt them along with the rifles, shotguns and loads involved are very different.As such I think there should be a separate forum for it.Opinions?

Actually, since there seems to be very little activity on the Small Game forum, if a few varmint posts were to show up there, it probably wouldn't bother things too much.

I don't know ...... is there such a thing as breaking a forum down too fine into too many sub-forums or doesn't it matter?

I don't have any strong opinions one way or the other.

Doc

At present there's not much activity in any of the forums but if the site catches on it might be worth it.I visit a few sites that are primarily varmint/predator oriented and they have separate forums for each.Time will tell I guess.

I could probably post a few messages in a Varmint Forum, but not this time of year. I don't get out until the dead of winter and usually well after deer season closes. I'm not really very good at it, and I sure could use all the help I could get. A forum devoted to predator calling and hunting might be quite useful to me. On the other hand if that kind of info were posted on the small game forum or anywhere else, it would be just as useful.

Either way, it don't matter to me.

Doc

Define Varmint?

Yes, I have heard the term applied to foxes, coyotes, bobcats, rats, woodchucks, skunks, possums, coons and all other kinds of critters. One dictionary defines "varmint" as an animal considered a pest. So that definition could apply to almost anything including deer and bear.

I don't want to speak for Bernie P. but I think he was really meaning a forum on "NY predator" hunting (excluding bears).

Ok I need help I can't get the coyotes to come in for nothing.

And when you get it all figured out, let me in on the secret. I can't get them interested either. I do get an occasional fox to come in, but never a coyote. I'm going to try covering a bit more ground this winter. Start hitting the backroads and cover some miles by car instead of trying to pack all my crap around the hill on foot. I just can't cover enough ground. Maybe driving from one calling area to another will put me in contact with more coyotes. Who knows. It's worth a try .... nothing else is working.

Doc

If you have a spot where you know coyotes frequent , check with area farmers for stillborn / dead calves . Place the calf in the Yote area and stake it to the ground covering some of it with chicken wire so they can't drag it off or chomp it all at once . When it stinks it real bad they will come after it . Coyotes will eat stuff that stinks so bad it would turn your stomach !