Smoked Eggs and Bacon Sandwich

CDN

IMG_5204.jpg

These Smoked Bacon and Egg sandwiches are sure to get you wide awake. These things take a little more time than just throwing some eggs and bacon in a pan on the stove, but they are alot more fun and sure to impress your guests if you have a crowd coming over for breakfast. The smoky flavor is perfect with the bacon and eggs, and the toasted bread takes on a hint of smoke as well to really top it off.

Here's what you need:

Fresh eggs, one per sandwich

Bacon, thick cut slices or Canadian bacon, or both

English muffins or bagels, or both

Cooking spray

Muffin pan

Black pepper or seasoning of your choice

Wood chunks such as hickory, pecan or apple

Start off by building a medium size fire in your cooker. For this cook, I used a Weber Kettle and lump charcoal, so for me that meant a chimney full of lump that was about halfway burning when I dumped it. Throw on a chunk of hickory, pecan or apple to get a little smoke flavor going. Use an oven thermometer to monitor the temp and bring it up to around 250. Then place the bacon slices on the grill opposite the fire and close the lid to let them get a little smoky flavor going. Situate the lid so that the vent is opposite the fire and directly over the bacon so as to draw the smoke over the bacon.

IMG_5178.jpg

Let the bacon smoke for about 20 minutes or until the edges start to get a little brown and crispy. Take it off the grill and open up the vents so the fire can burn a little hotter and get the heat up to around 350-400 while you are doing the prep work inside. Spray the bottom and edges of the muffin pan lightly with cooking oil and place the bacon slices and/or the Canadian bacon in the pan with one strip of bacon encircling the bottom of the pan, and another small piece laid across the bottom, as shown in the picture.

IMG_5185.jpg

IMG_5186.jpg

Next, break open one egg for each slot and pour it in, trying not to break the yolk (unless you like it broken, of course).

IMG_5187.jpg

Now you are ready for the grill. You need to have your heat up to around 350 degrees by now. Place the muffin pan with the eggs and bacon on the cooking grate opoosite from the fire. Close the lid and let them cook for about 15 minutes. Put a little black pepper or you favorite seasoning on there about 5 minutes into it. Keep a close eye on them, and when the egss have whitened up, the yolks look set and the bacon has finished crisping up you're ready to bring them in. Lightly brush some olive oil on a few bagels and English muffins and lightly toast them on the grill. Keep a close watch on them so as not to burn the bread.

IMG_5189.jpg

IMG_5191.jpg

Bring in the bread and the smoky bacon and eggs and put 'em together! I used hickory and put some monterey jack cheese on my sandwich to help enhance the light, smoky flavor of the hickory, along with a splash of Tabasco. I'm here to tell you it was absolutely out of this world good! !

IMG_5213.jpg

IMG_5214.jpg