Starter Gun

I know one thing if i was you I wouldn't fall for the rifle scope package deals unless you know its a good scope!I bought my 30-06 with a bushnell scope thinking i got a good deal,then the retcile broke and would have had to be adjusted every shot.Got a nikon buckmaster on it now and im in love with it so far!!

I knew this would go here on this thread......every one does...lol....25-06......no....30-06...no get a 270.....308-7mm-08...243..... well back to what I posted before. All good rounds..know why?. They are the same base cartridge .....30-06 & .308. Majority of what deer and black bear hinters are using today are them. What is the difference?....some trajectory differences based on bullet weights. But what and where will you be hunting?. For instance the 270average and the 06 both offer 150 grain....the 270 goes lower but not as high as the 06. My 06 has taken everything from chucks to moose and there are many of the same taken with the 270 as well. Research and choice...you wont go wrong with any round off these two workhorses

I bought a package deal and swaped out the simons scope with a leupold I had. As for someone looking for a solid starter gun the Savage combo isn't a bad deal. the Savage I bought has a free floated bbl that you can change and put a different cal. on. I think you also have to change the bolt head when you do that.

• 4 months later...

So what did you end up buying? I'd say if you are buying only 1 rifle as a do it all kind of thing, the 30-06 or 308 bolt action is the way to go. If you are gonna be stomping through the northeastern woods and you're looking for a deer/bear rifle exclusively the lever gun Marlin's in 35 or 30-30 is a great option too. The new ammo options are awesome in either caliber.