Starter Gun

I just purchased a remington 770 300 win mag big

knock down power good gun priced around 300 w/

a 3x9 40mm scope they come in 243,270,30-06,308,

7mm,7mm-03 and 300 win mag.Its boresighted out

of the box I was sighted in in 3 shots.Its lighter in weight

sythetic stock has rings for a sling 3 shot removalable clip.

Dicks has the green stock on sale for 279.00 now this week.

I really like the way the gun preforms and handles.Maybe

you could check it out.

All great suggestions, but I would throw the .338 Marlin Express or .308 Marlin Express in the ring also. These are great guns and are very durable. The price is very affordable. The .338 MX or MXLR ballistically is very similar to a .30-06. This would take any game found in N.America. If you want something a little lighter the .308MX is a good choice. I have to suggest the 336c Marlin in .35 Rem. also.

I agree with the TC Venture in .308 is one of these best gun dollar per dollar. I'd go the extra $100 for the Venture. But then again, for an few bucks more, you can get the Remington 700. If it's not in the budget then the Axis is not a bad choice either. It really comes down to how it feels in your hands. I didn't like the way the Axis felt. I went with a Remington 700.

I just looked on the savage web site at the axis. While im sure its a great gun I noticed that it does not have the accu trigger. I bought the model 111 which has the accu trigger and I really like. What I don't like about the one I have is that it does not have a detachable mag. I bought the package deal at the Sports Authority for 399.

Have you checked out the Marlin X7 series of bolt action rifles ?

They have one for raffle at my local American Legion post and it looks like a real nice rifle. It has a trigger system similar to the Savage accutrigger and the reviews I have read about report real good performance. And it retails for well under $400.. Brand new.

It might be worth checking out.

Savage arms makes many great rifle/scope combos in both 30-06 and 308.I myself have and love my 30-06 savage arms i did like the bushnell scope that came with it i took my first doe with it but i since upgraded to a nikon buckmaster,going to get it mounted monday.Cant wait to shoot a buck with that sucker... :spiteful:

Do your homework before the gun shows. There are deals there but also a lot that are overpriced from what you can get retail elsewhere.

I am a Remington fan. I am also a fan of the. 30-06. Any gun shop you go into will have 06 ammo. I don't care if you are in NYC or east bygosh Alaska. Light loads or heavy...and with the new managed recoil ammo they can be a pleasure to shoot. Both the 308new and 06the have a variety of mil surplus ammo you can get to plink with and with the bolt actions you are looking at corrosive ammo isn't that bad to clean up after. For the average hunter out there in the NE I don't think any make will be a problem for you in the bolt guns....set a budget....decide on a caliber and then go by feel.....and buy some decent glass....and GOOD mounts...and then enjoy it and don't loom back...good luck