what pistol to buy?

BizCT

Statistically, there's a better chance of you getting killed by a polar bear in NY than a black bear.

There is only one documented case of a wild black bear killing someone in NY and it was in 2002. It was a 5 month old infant, bear knocked over her stroller and picked up the baby and went into the woods with her, people threw rocks and sticks at the bear and the bear dropped the baby. Baby died of head and neck wounds :(

I think 2 other black bears killed people in NY, but they were bears in captivity. If you put me in a cage, I would kill you too.

The reason I said polar bears is because there were 2 people killed from polar bear attacks in NY. (zoos)

I'm also in the market for a pistol. A friend of mine named Tom went hunting in Delhi opening day with some family. During the second day he heard his cousin calling out on the radio, Tom went to him as he heard a shot. The guy was being attacked by a 250 black bear, who he was coming out of his den. When Tom got there the bruin was getting up from a shot in the shoulder, Tom shot him in the head with a 7mm magnum. He still ran a bit and died. The moral of the story, you never know when you are going to need a pistol for a bruin. Me personally am looking at a ruger redhawk or super redhawk. My 2 cents.

Go with a revolver. No external safetys, decockers,magazines etc. Just load and unload cylinder and squeeze trigger. Very simple. My votes go for Ruger GP100 in 357 4 or 6" and Ruger Redhawk in 44 5.5". The S&W choices mentioned above are also great 686(.357) or 629(.44).