Splitear_Leland

Eating Internal Organs

Recommended Posts

4 hours ago, The Jerkman said:

USA Buffalo?

Sent from my SM-G988U using Tapatalk
 

African

Only thing that didn't make someones dinner table was the stomach/digestive tract contents......right down to the hooves.

Heart.....dark spot just below fat line is first shot bullet hole (solid bullet, no expansion, no herd hunting so going for maximum penetration from any angle); think we had that a couple days later.

FkzzSuY.jpg

 

 

  • Like 2

Give it a name, apply human sentiment, and its no longer a wild animal its a Disney character.

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
21 hours ago, blackbeltbill said:

 

OK- If anyone here is busting into a Buck Skull to cook up a Brain-- I don't want to hear about it- LOL!

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, blackbeltbill said:

OK- If anyone here is busting into a Buck Skull to cook up a Brain-- I don't want to hear about it- LOL!

I have removed many of them with my power washer, while doing euro mounts, but I have never tried eating one.  Birds and other vermin always clean up every last scrap, along with the eyeballs, lips, etc, within 24 hours.   I have always been amazed at how small a whitetail buck's brain is, considering how elusive they are.  The brain of a 3.5 year old buck is about the same size as one of it's nuts.  It would take several to provide enough calories for a meal.   Certainly the small size makes the head shot a much poorer shot choice than the butt shot.   The Texas-heart (butt) shot offers a quick-kill zone of at least a foot in diameter, while the head shot is less than 2".   

 695635618_eurosand6-point.jpeg.c245dcb70f4d414c7a55b328ca76199b.jpeg     

Edited by wolc123

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, wolc123 said:

I have removed many of them with my power washer, while doing euro mounts, but I have never tried eating one.  Birds and other vermin always clean up every last scrap, along with the eyeballs, lips, etc, within 24 hours.   I have always been amazed at how small a whitetail buck's brain is, considering how elusive they are.  The brain of a 3.5 year old buck is about the same size as one of it's nuts.  It would take several to provide enough calories for a meal.   Certainly the small size makes the head shot a much poorer shot choice than the butt shot.   The Texas-heart (butt) shot offers a quick-kill zone of at least a foot in diameter, while the head shot is less than 2".   

 695635618_eurosand6-point.jpeg.c245dcb70f4d414c7a55b328ca76199b.jpeg     

The expression on that buck's face says...." Holy CRAP...Somebody just shot me in the ass  !! "....

  • Like 1
  • Haha 3

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

always try to save the heart. lot of times with a rifle its torn up pretty bad. if it got an arrow through it I save it so long as the arrow didn't hit anything back of the diaphragm. nothing fancy just grilled or fried up sooner than later. anything else is for the birds. liver too. I really don't care for liver.


---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Upper Hudson River Valley QDMA

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 hours ago, Pygmy said:

The expression on that buck's face says...." Holy CRAP...Somebody just shot me in the ass  !! "....

Sorry Dan, thats the wrong buck, but you did give me an idea for a taxidermy project. The little 6-point, second from the bottom, was the Texas-heart buck.   It would have been cool to have a photo from the front, when that bullet struck.   My father in law always tells me that the eyes would probably have been protruding out pretty far, right about then.  

The cape on the shoulder mount up top was given to me by a friend.  He had a buck that his grandfather had killed re-mounted on a larger cape.  He gave me the small mounted cape, and I attached the rack from my first buck into it.  My dad made the walnut plaque for the back.  

Dad also made the little red-oak plaque that the Texas-heart buck rack is now on.   When and if I find the time, maybe I will put my first buck's rack back on that small oak plaque that it was originally on.   Then I can put the Texas-heart rack into the little cape.  I will try and pull the glass eye balls out as far as possible, to try and re-create the actual "holy crap" facial expression.   I will also put the exit hole in the lower neck (there was no entry hole).   The exit hole was just to the left of center on the lower neck (the buck's head was facing right when the bullet struck).

That may be the best shot that I have ever made on a deer and it would be nice to have a lasting reminder of it. I always go for "aim small miss small", and hope to hit an individual hair.   There was no hair at the spot I aimed that time, but there is also no doubt that my bullet struck right on it.            

Edited by wolc123

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

Loading...

  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.