Summit viper classic or gorilla grey back

I always thought climbers were more of a pita than they worth and figured how stable/safe can they actually be. My uncle finally talked me into trying his climber( an older one with blades on both sides of the tree). I was actually impressed with how well it preformed.

Now I had ladder stand stolen before season and am thinking a climber would be the best way to prevent theft. If it isn't there how can they steal it?

I have it narrowed down to the summit viper classic and the gorilla grey back climber. I know that everyone complains that they are both "heavy". I won't be going on any long hikes with it anywhere I hunt so I am not to worried about the wieght. I am more wondering pros and cons for both or if one just performs that much better.

IMO, dont waste the money on either of them. Save up a few bucks more and get the Summit Viper SS (aluminum). Years ago I thought it was a good idea to buy a steel climber because it would save a few bucks. Within 2 seasons of hauling that heavy thing around, I quit using it because it was a pain to haul in. I then used my buddy's Viper SS a couple of times and fell in love with it and bought my own. It ended up costing me more than if I had just bought the Viper SS to begin with. If you really dont like it, the SS will hold its value better than the steel stand, as they are in greater demand.

I'm not trying to be rude but I have been packing a 15' ladder stand in and out of the wood this season when I want to hunt the location the old stand was stolen from. Trust me when I say weight is not an issue. I think any climber will be lighter and not as bulky to get through the woods with. Also I am not buying it, it will be a christmas present and I don't like asking for things to begin with so I can't bring myself to ask for a stand that cost $100 more than what I was told they wanted to spend. If I had the money I would definitely go with the viper SS.

I can only tell you that I own the Viper SS and my buddy bought the Viper classic last year. He really wishes he went for the SS. The weight difference is very noticeable. I put my SS on my back with a fully loaded backpack strapped to it and it still wieghs less than his stand alone. I love the SS. I was thinking of going for the Titan this year cause I would like the little extra room the stand affords. If I do my SS is sold already.....to my buddy with the Classic. Hope this helps you in your decision.. Maybe you could buck up the extra money out of your pocket and go with the SS....you wont be dissapointed. Let me know if you have any questions.

Noah:

I think if someone is willing to ask you want you want and set a price limit they might also be open to just giving you a gift certificate to somewhere and then you just throw in a extra bill for something you really want. Just a suggestion. Not sure if you're comfortable asking for that or if they're willing to do it. I came across a similar gift situation. They ask if there's anything I want and I said "there's nothing I really want but since this other person also doesn't know what to get me, why don't the two of you talk to each other, pool your money together, and get me this expesive item I actually do want?" And that's what they did. Just an idea.

I bought the Field & Stream Primetime Lite. Works find for me but I don't have anything to compare it to. What I can say is that when I'm out hunting with it, I come across some choice locations but can't climb it because the tree's first limb is too low so you can't get the climber around the limb or the tree is at a slight angle, etc. Makes think if I should have sacrificed the comfort and bought climbing steps and a tree saddle setup instead.

• 1 month later...

Ok so I got my new viper sd and I didn't have to pay half. So now I am looking at accessories I know I want to get the foot rest. My problem now is I would like to have bags to store stuff in. I really like the summit deluxe side bags but the reviews are terrible. Is the fabric really that flimsy? If so what does everyone use instead of the side bags?