Bows of the future

regulat0r

2 hours ago, wolc123 said:

I really like the factory scope that came with my Centerpoint Sniper.   It is 4X magnification and four different crosshairs.   The top one was right on at 20 yards and the second from the top was right on at 30 yards, when using 100 grain tips.   I am guessing that the third one will be good for 40 yards and the 4th one 50 yards.    I will definitely verify that prior to deer season.   I am really looking forward to having that 50 yard effective range (I have been limiting myself to 30 yards with my old Barnett Recruit the last few seasons for "energy" reasons).

I usually hang ribbons out in several directions around all my stands, at my maximum effective range, before the season starts.  I assume I will be hanging them at 30 and 50 yards this year, depending on which crossbow I choose.   I also range known objects that are closer, so that I can quickly choose the right pin/crosshair when the deer shows up.        

I have done ok with the range game with my crossbow, shotgun, and rifle,  but I should have used the laser range finder with my ML last December.  I "guessed" that a doe was at 150 yards, across an open field down at my buddy's Southern-Tier camp, but she turned out to be at 200 yards.  I shot right under her.  That is one mistake that I hope I don't make again.  I know my own fields pretty good, but I was way off down at that place.             

Before range finders I'd measure out and paint numbers on trees 1, 2 ,3 ,4  for 10, 20 ,30, 40 yards 20 plus years later some are still visible 

15 minutes ago, G-Man said:

Before range finders I'd measure out and paint numbers on trees 1, 2 ,3 ,4  for 10, 20 ,30, 40 yards 20 plus years later some are still visible 

I still do it for hang on sets , ill do a few different lanes and use colored duct tape around some branches that corresponds with the color pin for that yardage.  

• Like 1