Hi from the STNY

zeeto

Hey all, I'm Chris from right outside of Binghamton. I haven't been hunting in years, basically just when I was real young and I would go out with my dad growing up. I got back into shooting a few years ago and was planning to do the hunter's ed course this fall, at the range I belong to, but we were hit in the flooding so I completely missed out. I've been trying to find an open course but haven't had any luck whatsoever.

Chris

Hi Chris,

Welcome to the site! Some of the guys might have a suggestion for a course location, but its a little tight with the season right here. You should call the DEC and ask if they have a list of local places that offer it. I know the local archery ranges and shooting ranges by me offer it, so that might be a place to start besides the DEC.

Hi Chris,

It isnt too late to get your license this year, if your willing to travel. I remember when my little brother was getting his license he got it late in the year, I think maybe 1 week before regular deer season.

Visit the DEC site, they have a list on there some where with all the classes and when/where they hold them.

Good luck!

Chris...ironically, I just dropped my niece off at her hunter's ed course. (I came back to grab a bite to eat then heading back out to pick her up.) She signed up this past Wednesday and the class was already completely book. The instructor said that eventhough the class is already full, he'll squeeze her in. Usually people don't show up but even if everyone does, he'll try and accommodate her. Lesson learned. It never hurts to call and ask.

Thanks for the welcome.

I've been checking the DEC website, and tried to get into that "homeschool" class in Delaware county today but I called on Monday, and then double checked yesterday, and it was full. I'm totally willing to travel, but all those on the DEC website are 2-3+ hours away and multiple days, if they were single day classes it would be totally different. I found a couple around here, at the local ranges, and called up those instructors but those are full too. When I called my region's DEC office the person I spoke to said "just what's on the website", so I'm going to try other regions Monday. I'm keeping my hopes up that hopefully I can find one.

I was talking with a buddy at work, asking if he knew of any courses as well, and he mentioned if I had an out of state license before I moved back to NY. I actually had an AK, non-resident, annual license while I was living in NJ because I had been traveling to AK for work and a few of the guys up there suggested I grab one in case we had free time to head out. I'm going to try and call the DEC today, but does anyone know if that will "fulfill" the prior license aspect of the NYS licensing?