Fly Fishing Long Island

BKhunter

Hey All,

I did a run through the Massapequa Preserve this weekend and the trail runs the Massapequa creek which I see you can fly fish. Has anyone here ever fished the creek? Is it worth giving it a shot and any tips you may have to offer?

BK 

I saw some signs along the creek that you can fish all year long for rainbows and something else. I think they are trying to bring back the brook trout population there so I assume trout as well. Just not sure how the action is or if there is a part of the creek that is better than others.

1 hour ago, BKhunter said:

I saw some signs along the creek that you can fish all year long for rainbows and something else. I think they are trying to bring back the brook trout population there so I assume trout as well. Just not sure how the action is or if there is a part of the creek that is better than others.

Maybe. It would be nice to have a good run of sea-run brookies. Unlikely it will amount to anything though

• Like 1

I think it was Carmens that had sea run brookies .  I use to know a guy years ago that bragged about the great fishing down there.  They are all spring creeks   and reservoir  . There is a hatchery  down there and they get stocked pretty heavy.  Not sure about hatches but most spring creeks  have scuds  watercress bugs . Good luck  ..  looking forward  to  a report.

• Like 1

For fly fishing on LI, there are basically two names you need to know: The Connectquot and the Carmens. The “Conny” is near world class, complete with resident browns, bows and brookies. There is a hatchery there as well and they stock several times throughout the year. The Southern end of the Carmens has the sea runs, but they are not a reliable fishery. This river is stocked as well and can be very productive. Both have fly only zones in the northern reaches and have many fishing platforms (decks, perches and the like) for those that aren’t into wading, which of course is much better. 

DEC does a goos job of stocking most of LI and they publish stocking lists regularly. 

This pdf may help.

https://www.dec.ny.gov/docs/fish_marine_pdf/20sprtroutstock.pdf

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, Nytracker said:

Did I read that parts are pay to play ?

I believe there is a fee for to enter Connectquot park. Rattlesnake  Creek and Bubbles Falls are free and have free parking. Also, the south end of Carmens is free. There is a DEC access site that puts you between the highway and the. Train trestle, which can be very productive. 

• Like 1

Thanks all this is good feedback. I also found the below in a Newsday article regarding Massapequa creek in case anyone is interested.

https://www.newsday.com/lifestyle/recreation/outdoors/restocked-with-trout-connetquot-river-ready-for-fly-fishing-1.13378436

OTHER TROUT FISHING SPOTS

Massapequa Reservoir

South of Clark Street and north of Sunrise Highway, Massapequa

Fishing is best near the outflow dam at south end of lake. Newly stocked rainbow trout average 8-9 inches while browns measure 12-15 inches.

• Like 1