New plot clearing for neighbor

Spent the day popping out bushes on neighbors property, 1st stage in prepping for a july planting of buckwheat.  Will spray to kill all the grasses wait a week or two. And then turn ground, wait 10 day to 2 weeks spray again and then plant..  intentionally left the apple and pear trees I could find in the mass of honeysuckle and dogwood.shrubbery.Screenshot_20200526-200652_Gallery.thumb.jpg.26f98ccdcfeb2773343b1530074b6cb7.jpgScreenshot_20200526-200631_Gallery.thumb.jpg.97f70706a34ff8682b6a51afe708c7ac.jpg

• Like 7

18 minutes ago, corydd7 said:

Are you planning on rye or wheat in September after the buckwheat?  What are your thoughts on dogwood for deer? Always love following your post on qdma.

Will let go to seed and he wants to rotate in corn next year. Part of this field will also be put into turnip.  Dogwood is used by deer as browse especially the berries ,but if more prefered foods are available they will stay on the bushes much longer,  Turkey use the  the same way here.  I prefer aspen as a browse species here as it benefits rough grouse as well.( primary food are the buds in winter and catkins in spring) but that is another whole post....lol

He just bought this last year ,during gun season and asked if I would help him maintain trails and add foodplots. This was a nice area hidden from road and behind creek. Lots of trails thru it and bedding by creek and on hill. Hasnt been planted in about 20 years, trying to keep away from other property lines and make it in center of property for him.  Will be mowing this week I'm sure as grasses are nearly knee high already

• Like 1

15 minutes ago, G-Man said:

Will let go to seed and he wants to rotate in corn next year. Part of this field will also be put into turnip.  Dogwood is used by deer as browse especially the berries ,but if more prefered foods are available they will stay on the bushes much longer,  Turkey use the  the same way here.  I prefer aspen as a browse species here as it benefits rough grouse as well.( primary food are the buds in winter and catkins in spring) but that is another whole post....lol

He just bought this last year ,during gun season and asked if I would help him maintain trails and add foodplots. This was a nice area hidden from road and behind creek. Lots of trails thru it and bedding by creek and on hill. Hasnt been planted in about 20 years, trying to keep away from other property lines and make it in center of property for him.  Will be mowing this week I'm sure as grasses are nearly knee high already

Just awesome info as usual.  I'm not the only one interested in a full post on dogwood, Aspen or any other food source. If you have the time and don't mind posting, I'm sure more then myself would benefit. 

Why let the buckwheat go to seed? Why not till it or top seed with rye or wheat creating more green manure? 

I should put you on my payroll with my accountant but I think I would enjoy your company more.

4 minutes ago, corydd7 said:

Just awesome info as usual.  I'm not the only one interested in a full post on dogwood, Aspen or any other food source. If you have the time and don't mind posting, I'm sure more then myself would benefit. 

Why let the buckwheat go to seed? Why not till it or top seed with rye or wheat creating more green manure? 

I should put you on my payroll with my accountant but I think I would enjoy your company more.

The neighbor is huge turkey hunter and has been on cover of hunting mags with his dogs for.fall birds.  He hunts multiple states and his primary.goal is turkey.  Turkey love buckwheat seed as do deer.. . Every plot has it's own purpose and one persons goals are not another's. Most plots are "kill " plots.. personally I like feed fields that provide nutrition over multiple smaller kill plots.  But my goal is herd health not harvest. 

• Like 1