Leverage Speed Ladder treestand

I was looking into buying this speed ladder treestand from Leverage Treestands. Does anyone use it or know much about it? I'm interested in getting this one over a climber or hang on. Price is $329.00 which is about the cost of a good hangon with sticks.

http://www.leveragetreestands.com/foundations/store/shopdetail.asp?params=5200*76

The reason I'm considering this is because I'm not crazy about climbers. I've seen and heard horror stories about guys using climbers and falling as they are climbing with them.

I already have permanent ladder stands in my hunting area upstate. I'm considering this one is because I was invited to hunt on a friend's private land that is adjacent to state land on LI and he does not allow permanent ladder stands on his property. So this may be my only option.

As far as the cost, I agree, its steep. But a good hang on with sticks would run about the same price.

In my opinion, way too complicated to be as versatile as a climber, and way too expensive to take the place of a regular ladder stand or hang on. I put my ladder and hang on stands up by myself 90% of the time.

When using a climber, you should have your harness on and strap attached to the tree. You should also have a length of strap that connects the top section to the bottom section, so that the bottom cant drop to the ground on you. As long as you are safe, you dont have any more opportunity or chance of falling in a climber as any other stand.

• Like 1

Thanks for the input guys. I also saw this one online but crazy $$$$$$. Good concept but way too much money for a treestand.

http://store.outdoor-life-products.com/

I think I'm just going to end up waiting until after the season is over and pick up a good climber to practice with over the spring/summer months. I was thinking of one of the Summit climbers. Any suggestions would be much appreciated. :unsure:

Summit stands are very safe,easy to use and comfortable. Get one and try it once and you don't have to worry about practicing with it. The most important thing is to get the right angle of the standing platform. Taking into account that the tree gets narrower the higher you get. I like the Summits better than the API Stands because you don't have to worry about dropping pins when setting them up. Both however are very stable and easy to use.

Thanks for the input guys. I also saw this one online but crazy $$$$$$. Good concept but way too much money for a treestand.

http://store.outdoor...e-products.com/

I think I'm just going to end up waiting until after the season is over and pick up a good climber to practice with over the spring/summer months. I was thinking of one of the Summit climbers. Any suggestions would be much appreciated. :unsure:

Viper SD or Titan SD if you want more room. You wont regret buying a Summit climber.

I was was always leery of climber myself but my uncle finally talked me into trying his last week. Once I got it hooked up to a tree and started climbing I found it to be very simple to use. I also found it a lot safer and stable than I ever thought a climber would be. Needless to say I am getting a summit viper sd for Christmas and other than my wooden stands that are already hung i will be hunting from a climber from now on.

http://store.outdoor...e-products.com/

I have one of those collapsible ladders and they suck . I felt it was too dangerous to climb up on a tree with it The very top is a rung and it slides on the trees . I left it at my son's cabin so he could get into his loft . Oh yeah , it's heavy !

Seems to be alittle too involved to be a "portable" ladder stand. I used to have a Tree Lounge climber and it was the most comfortable stand I have ever sat in. The only reason I got rid of it is because I lease 800 acres with a group that allows stands to be left all year. Would recommend the Tree Lounge!! Alittle heavy but worth it.

OK I think I'm sold on a climber - Summit - read a whole bunch of reviews on them today and they do seem to be safe enough as long as you are wearing a harness. I have an HSS vest harness which I always wear. So I guess I'm gonna be buying one soon. For now since I probably wont be going out until opening day regular season, I'll stick with the permanent ladder stand which has proven successful in the past several years.

One question that I do have, when you are climbing with the climber whichever brand it may be, how and when do you attach your hoist rope? I'm assuming you need to attach it to the climber when you are on the ground and the other end to your weapon whether its a rifle or bow leaving enough slack as you climb. :unsure:

Edited by Deerthug

Although I don't use a Summit stand, I do use the saddle bags that they sell.

I have two on-board, one in the front with the zipper facing in and the other on the right side. When bowhunting, the front bag has my long single fold RealTree bow hanger, a limbing saw and my short safety rope with a prussik attached. The side bag has my haul rope stuffed in it with whatever stuff I want, like hand warmers etc. The haul rope is already attached to the TOP section of the stand so all I have to do is pull it out and connect it with a cheap caribiner to the bow.

During gun season, The bags hold all kinds of other odd ball stuff. Cigars, egg salad sangwich, juice box, thermos, Little Debbie assortments are just the start of what lurks in my man bag.

Also, during gun season a second haul rope is in place for hauling up my day pack for an extended stay in cold and/or wet weather.

Edited by Lawdwaz

Although I don't use a Summit stand, I do use the saddle bags that they sell.

I have two on-board, one in the front with the zipper facing in and the other on the right side. When bowhunting, the front bag has my long single fold RealTree bow hanger, a limbing saw and my short safety rope with a prussik attached. The side bag has my haul rope stuffed in it with whatever stuff I want, like hand warmers etc. The haul rope is already attached to the TOP section of the stand so all I have to do is pull it out and connect it with a cheap caribiner to the bow.

During gun season, The bags hold all kinds of other odd ball stuff. Cigars, egg salad sangwich, juice box, thermos, Little Debbie assortments are just the start of what lurks in my man bag.

Also, during gun season a second haul rope is in place for hauling up my day pack for an extended stay in cold and/or wet weather.

I prefer Yodels . . . :P

tie your haul ropes on the front of the seat half where you sit when you climb or tie them around your wrist . also check out the" Q-safe climbing strap" for around the tree when you are climbing it works along with the safety harness, I got one this year & it works really slick & quick.

tie your haul ropes on the front of the seat half where you sit when you climb or tie them around your wrist . also check out the" Q-safe climbing strap" for around the tree when you are climbing it works along with the safety harness, I got one this year & it works really slick & quick.

Just checked it out on the website. I like it.

My safety line for the climber is a 5' or 6' piece of rope with a prussic attached. As soon as you get into the stand at ground level, you take the safety line (one end has a loop in it) and throw the tag end around the tree and through the loop. The prussic also goes through the loop and you attach your caribiner to the prussic and as you climb, you just raise the safety line (not the prussic) as you go up or down.

It is really a simple deal and easier in person to understand. If I get a chance in the next few days I'll take some pics of my setup if anyone is interested.

The safety line/prussic that I use for fixed stands is 30' long. When I install a hang on /fixed position stand I use a high quality linesmans belt. After the stand is up and secure, I put the safety line around the tree TWO times about a foot over head height. Then, as I'm descending down the newly installed screw in steps/ladder sticks and get to the bottom the loose end of the 30' safety line is now wrapped around the trunk of the tree at waist height and tied. How tight is it tied? You'll need to have a touch of slack but not much.

I'm ALWAYS connected.

If you can't afford a GOOD harness and safety lines, sell a kidney, blood or sperm.

• 2 weeks later...