Wind & Arrows

StripedBuck

I was just wondering how many Bow Hunters out there actually hunt when the wind is blowing above 15 mph with crazy gusts on top of that? I would think that the only way to hunt in those conditions would be on the ground and wait for a deer to present itself at 10 yds.What are your thoughts on this subject?

Well actually the effect of wind would be dependant on bow poundage and arrow weight. Also it would depend on what angle the wind is blowing to the path of the arrow. I think wind can effect the stability of how the arrow flies as well. That can't be good.

But if I were a "tree-stander", I would be more concerned about being blown out of my stand. Another thought is that if your tree is waving around doesn't that make your shot similar to trying to shoot a moving target?? ..... lol.

I practiced off my house to see today in about 20mph wind gusts.didn't affect my arrow much.Then got in the woods and wind settled right down.That was NICE.Turned into a nice afternoon.

the tree is what bothers me with wind.The swaying back and forth.Dont even like being in a tree with a gun when it is windy.I got some stands in some huge maples that dont sway for that kind of day.

Ive shot at the range a bunch of times with a gusty cross wind before, still shot out to 30 yards without an issue. Out at either 40 or 50 (cant remember which) the arrows still hit within the intended target, but when you go looked at them, the rear of the arrow was kicked out a bit, in the direction the wind was blowing so it had some effect at longer ranges. It might depend on the speed of the bow you are shooting, Im not sure.

the tree is what bothers me with wind.The swaying back and forth.Dont even like being in a tree with a gun when it is windy.I got some stands in some huge maples that dont sway for that kind of day.

I agree. Its hard to hold a steady shot from a tree thats swaying back and forth. It also tends to make me sleepy.

Thanks for the input on arrows being shot during heavy winds. I normally didn't hunt due to the wind but as I see from the comments it is not a factor at all. That means I can enjoy bow hunting in the wind, yeah!!!! ....Just don't like being up in a tree spinning round and round, start to see lots of deer..LOL