Traditions Canyon as a first ML?

zeeto

Anyone have any experience with this muzzleloader? I'm thinking of picking it up for the lone ML weekend of the season. I've never hunted ML, so I'm looking for a good entry-level one especially since I'll probably only use it during the week of ML season anyway.

http://www.cabelas.com/product/Traditions-Canyon-50-Caliber-Muzzleloader-with-Gun-Case-and-Starter-Kit/1289732.uts?destination=%2Fcatalog%2Fcompare_items.jsp%3FcategoryIds%3D%26entityId%3D1289732%26entityId%3D735321

I have a Traditions Thunderbolt, and I love it. I use strictly 100 grains of White Hots pellets. Plenty for deer hunting. I use strictly 100 grains for a reason. I've read too many reports of 150 grain loads destroying barrels on muzzleloaders, apparently due to softer steel. 100 grains of Pyrodex, etc., is plenty.

I'm pretty sure the Canyon is new so reviews might be a little limited. Because of that, I'd probably go with a proven model.

For an entry-level - but COMPLETELY CAPABLE - MZ...there's no better than the CVA Wolf. Load that thing up with a two pellets and a quality choice on the business end (Harvester Scorpions are cheap and effective or the Hornady XTPs) and you'll be impressed.

Right now, my FIL is using my Wolf with a single 777 pellet and a 300 gr. Scorpion and his groups are impressive out to 75 yds. Two pellets and you'll be sending them a long way with good accuracy.

It's a good, cheap, and effective deer killer. Perfect for most NY deer woods with its shorter barrel. I own a CVA and a Traditions (Wolf and Vortek UL)....I have ZERO problems killing deer with either. In fact, I hunted with the Wolf Sunday night.

Edited by phade