Corn plots

Well corn is looking good planted mid may. Just entering dent stage r 5, need 20 to 26 days to black tip ( maturity ) puts me right at earliest frost date oct 1. 

Now if I could keep the damn black birds , squirrels, coon and other critters out of it for a few weeks..20200909_192258.thumb.jpg.4e6715413dfafd017aa9dc99b57e94eb.jpg

• Like 6

6 minutes ago, G-Man said:

Well corn is looking good planted mid may. Just entering dent stage r 5, need 20 to 26 days to black tip ( maturity ) puts me right at earliest frost date oct 1. 

Now if I could keep the damn black birds , squirrels, coon and other critters out of it for a few weeks..20200909_192258.thumb.jpg.4e6715413dfafd017aa9dc99b57e94eb.jpg

Looks good, Greg...I don't think I am a good enough farmer to grow corn..I also don't have a sprayer or any good way to control the weeds...

20 minutes ago, Pygmy said:

Looks good, Greg...I don't think I am a good enough farmer to grow corn..I also don't have a sprayer or any good way to control the weeds...

If you broadcast soy bean and corn together ,it may come out ok. As long as soil is worked up well. , would still have to spread fertilizer somehow though. 

36 minutes ago, G-Man said:

If you broadcast soy bean and corn together ,it may come out ok. As long as soil is worked up well. , would still have to spread fertilizer somehow though. 

I have a  seeder that mounts on the back of a quad...Does a very good job of broadcasting both fertilizer and seed...

My biggest problem in the past with both corn and beans is weed control...

Edited by Pygmy

2 hours ago, First-light said:

Would a 1/2 acre corn plot work in a secluded area? Now there are many fields full of all kinds of goodies surrounding the area.

I do not reccomend anything.less than an acre for corn and more than 2 for pure soybeans,   coon, squirrels,  birds take the first 5 to 8 rows out before it can mature.not to mention deer taking silk off growing ears... add a bear and it would be wipe out for sure.   A half acre would be gone well before season due to access  to outside rows.. it maybe possible if you had a fence around it  or some other kind of plot saver.

Most of my corn is for destination feeding not a kill plot.  More to help with herd health thru the winter and early spring.   Cereal grain, brassica,clover are more suited for a " kill" plot in my own experience.  

• Like 2

This is a 1/8 acre turnip plot that is saddled between a 1/8 acre silver queen sweetcorn plot and a 1-1/2 acre RR field corn plot.   There was another 1/8 acre of bodacious sweetcorn to the left of the silver queen, which was entirely wiped out by coons. I tilled that under and just put in a wheat/white clover mix on that spot. I trapped (4) male coons and the coyotes are now keeping them in check (they dug up the three largest coon carcasses).  We ate some of the silver queen for dinner tonight, have had it for 4 or 5 other meals and have put that many quarts in the freezer.  I will probably leave the rest to harden for the deer.   The coyotes have been doing a good job of keeping them away also.   It has been a couple weeks since anything but humans got to eat any of that corn.   If you can get rid of the coons (they are the easiest furbearer there is to trap), a half acre of corn would likely be enough to last into gun season.  Otherwise, forget about it. 

Wild turkeys will not bother corn unless coons knock it down for them.   Deer also prefer to eat it when it has been knocked down, so it is good to leave a few coons around if you have sufficient acreage of corn.   I probably wont trap any more this year.

20200828_222240.jpg.b6474e95b21b83e879c765da9cb69d9e.jpg

This ought to be a prime deer hunting location this year.  There is also a white oak, just to the left of the plot that is loaded with acorns this season:

20200903_175440.jpg.2c9ca4bd6c72b33020c97c0c684dceae.jpg

Edited by wolc123