Squirrel

Skillet

Anyone seen any greys out in the woods in Saratoga County? Im looking at Middle Grove and Daketown as new spots. Albany Pine Bush, Ushers Road and Parcell 45 (next to Wilton Mall) all seem to be Reds at this point. I may try Wilton Wildlife Preserve and Capital District MWA in the next few weeks also.

I was talking to an old timer in the woods the other day and he told me to hang a bird feeder out there if I really wanted to fill my limit. While the idea seemed over the top to me, it appears via the DEC website that offering the weary late season squirrels some black oil sunflower or the like in a handful on log isnt illegal per their exclusion on the list.

I hunt Daketown for pheasant, I have never seen a grey there but a few reds.

I see greys in the Albany Pine Bush all the time, but the non-toxic shot requirement is killer..any suggestions?

Edited by RPIBuckHunter

I see greys in the Albany Pine Bush all the time, but the non-toxic shot requirement is killer..any suggestions?

What section of APB (7,8,9) for greys???. I must have missed them...

The girl at the front desk I spoke with at the front desk the day seem to hint that the non toxic shot is an strong suggestion and not an absolute. It does seem to be hidden even among the regs on the website http://www.albanypinebush.org/recreation-center/hunting-information . I use air rifle and I have some non toxic lead free pellets that are good up to 15 yard or so, but I also have some lead alloy that can extend my range. I might head down there again tomorrow to get clarification from someone with authority and to see if I need a permit for going off the beaten path. I mentioned I was hunting to the gal and she made it seem like as long as long as one is hunting, one can leave the path. Then again once I mentioned I was a squirrel hunter she about rolled out the red carpet and started going on about them over populating some of the areas and causing damage... :unsure:

We went to three place in Oswego and Pulaski and scriba and didn't see a single squirrel wat are we doin wrong

If they are reds in the area, your probably making far too much noise. Ive learned they dont stray far from their den or drey/nest and will take off and hide in their den up to 200 yards out ahead of you. Early on in the season I had luck spooking them up a tree or catching them cutting up in the trees. Now, its a slow stalk, find a tree or two with the classic den holes and wait. If found that at the state parcells I hunt they are sensitive to human and dog activity but then are quick to get about their business. Alot of folks walk, run and take their dogs and kids on these trails and they duck in when the go by and come out 10-15 mins later.

Went out today, saw only one squirrel. They're quick...

Compared to the greys, these guys are like greased lighting.

Edited by waltny

How about Winchester XPert Steel low brass shotshells? If you use an air rifle, they also make non-lead pellets.

How about Winchester XPert Steel low brass shotshells? If you use an air rifle, they also make non-lead pellets.

For air rifle, these would be the main two I would consider but it takes away the whole premise of the air rifle being cheaper to fire and quiet. These are the two heaviest in .177 and they WILL go supersonic in most air rifles...

http://www.pyramydair.com/s/p/Gamo_PBA_Bullet_177_Cal_7_1_Grains_Pointed_Lead_Free_150ct/892

http://www.pyramydair.com/s/p/Beeman_ECO_Kodiak_177_Cal_6_48_Grains_Domed_Lead_Free_300ct/921

What section of APB (7,8,9) for greys???. I must have missed them...

The girl at the front desk I spoke with at the front desk the day seem to hint that the non toxic shot is an strong suggestion and not an absolute. It does seem to be hidden even among the regs on the website http://www.albanypin...ing-information . I use air rifle and I have some non toxic lead free pellets that are good up to 15 yard or so, but I also have some lead alloy that can extend my range. I might head down there again tomorrow to get clarification from someone with authority and to see if I need a permit for going off the beaten path. I mentioned I was hunting to the gal and she made it seem like as long as long as one is hunting, one can leave the path. Then again once I mentioned I was a squirrel hunter she about rolled out the red carpet and started going on about them over populating some of the areas and causing damage... :unsure:

I have to agree with the non lead pellet assessment. Their accuracy is certainly questionable. There is one exception-the Skenco long range pellet. The reason being, is that it is a heavy pellet for being non-lead, and the plastic base rides the rifling just like a sabot would. I've had good luck with those. However, there is a slight flaw. While penetration is unbelieveable, expansion is non-existent. It is still deadly on squirrels, though.

For air rifle, these would be the main two I would consider but it takes away the whole premise of the air rifle being cheaper to fire and quiet. These are the two heaviest in .177 and they WILL go supersonic in most air rifles...

http://www.pyramydai..._Free_150ct/892

http://www.pyramydai..._Free_300ct/921

Wow, that sucks-they don't have the Skenco long range in .177? That really bites!

Wow, that sucks-they don't have the Skenco long range in .177? That really bites!

They do, and for half of those. The reviews are less than stellar on them though. I though about a picking up a tin or two on my next buy 3 get one free on PA

http://www.pyramydair.com/s/p/Golden_Rod_Long_Range_Pellets_Type_3_177_Cal_8_5_Grains_Pointed_Lead_Free_Tin_Free_150ct/245

The wadcutters are actually a bit heavier and I though about possibly just trying them out.

These are the ones I'm talking about. They are called "Golden Rods", and they weigh in at 8.5 grains. I've had very good luck with these.post-1247-0-87460600-1326162283_thumb.jp

Yeah PA has those for 7.99 a tin. As I mentioned before I may pick up some just for the APB

The question is, of course, how would they cycle in the Benji Marauder?

The Marauder is .25 cal and not authorized in the APB anyhow. I have a little gamo 220 hunter with a GRTIII trigger upgrade on it. With Gamo Rockets and H&N 'Cudas I shoot ragged holes prone @25 yards.

Here she is a few weeks ago before the trigger upgrade.

6509462955_ca1f74f889_z.jpg

Edited by waltny

Nice. I used to have some nice ones, but those days are gone for now, at least. Well, until I get back on my feet again. It makes me ill to think of the airguns I once had, but had to sell due to financial woes. It sucks! Ever see one of these babies? 20 gauge, 750 fps with 396 grain slugs, and squirrel killer out to 30 yards. It's just one of them I used to have.........post-1247-0-65790000-1326163223_thumb.jp

Eh, reading the Pine Bush regulation by the letter implies that air rifle is not permissable, as it specifically states by bow or non-toxic shotgun.

Edit: Actually, the above is not true. Buried in the fine print is that .177 pellet guns are allowed...

I do not remember the trail head numbers, but I always see greys in the area south of the Welcome Center on State Highway 155.

Edited by RPIBuckHunter
  • Like 1

Nice. I used to have some nice ones, but those days are gone for now, at least. Well, until I get back on my feet again. It makes me ill to think of the airguns I once had, but had to sell due to financial woes. It sucks! Ever see one of these babies? 20 gauge, 750 fps with 396 grain slugs, and squirrel killer out to 30 yards. It's just one of them I used to have.........post-1247-0-65790000-1326163223_thumb.jp

Wow, very nice. I would have loved to have got a chance to shoulder that. Is it a PCP?

Edited by waltny

Eh, reading the Pine Bush regulation by the letter implies that air rifle is not permissable, as it specifically states by bow or non-toxic shotgun.

I do not remember the trail head numbers, but I always see greys in the area south of the Welcome Center on State Highway 155.

Nice tip on the greys, Ill have to head there tomorrow.

Here is from the APB regs

6NYCRR Part 648.8

Hunting, Trapping and Fishing

(a) Hunting, trapping and fishing are allowed during times designated as New York State’s open hunting, trapping and fishing seasons, in accordance with the provisions of 6 NYCRR Parts 1-188, and notwithstanding any other provision in these regulations. ( B) Hunting and trapping are prohibited or restricted in those areas designated by the Commission as No Hunting Zones, Restricted Hunting Zones, No Trapping Zones, and Restricted Trapping Zones. © Trappers must register with the Commission in person before trapping in the Preserve. (d) Trapping is prohibited within fifty feet of the center of any official trail. (e) A person hunting, trapping or fishing must have in their immediate possession a valid New York State hunting, trapping or fishing license and, if applicable, a scientific collectors permit. (f) White-tailed deer may be hunted with a longbow only. (g) Small game may be hunted with a shotgun, .177 caliber pellet gun or longbow only. (h) Shotgun users are not permitted to possess a shotgun shell loaded with a single slug or ball. (i) Possession of a rifle or muzzle loading firearm is prohibited. (j) Legally possessed pistols, no larger than .22 caliber rimfire, may be used only to dispatch trapped wildlife. (k) Target practice with a longbow or firearm of any kind is prohibited

It is also now state law, so I would be curious why they would not allow it.

Edited by waltny

Edit: Actually, the above is not true. Buried in the fine print is that .177 pellet guns are allowed...

I wonder if that non toxic shot is geared toward shotguns. Im going to try to get clarification in person tomorrow.

They ask here on the PDF for you to not use lead. The pellets I prefer to use and most accurate with are an alloy composite.

http://www.albanypinebush.org/wp-content/uploads/2011/08/APBHuntingFall_2011.pdf

I think you must be talking about the 9 section just to the left of the star with the greys. Makes sense being close to civilization.

That it is.

How many shots on each fill? You know they got .357, .45 and .50 big bores now in air rifles?