Squirrel

Skillet

Eh, reading the Pine Bush regulation by the letter implies that air rifle is not permissable, as it specifically states by bow or non-toxic shotgun.

Edit: Actually, the above is not true. Buried in the fine print is that .177 pellet guns are allowed...

I do not remember the trail head numbers, but I always see greys in the area south of the Welcome Center on State Highway 155.

So south of the Welcome center would be right behind it in the section 1 area?

Anything in Yellow is Bow only and some are limited no hunting 8am to 3pm Tues to Fri

6729165713_4536b9141c_z.jpg

I parked over in this area and walked in and found many Red's.

6729165933_b9265b53b9_z.jpg

I saw the most spectatularly colored and good size Red Ive seen in weeks there today, I missed 3 different shots.... Im still beatind myself up over it. I was walking back to the car and remembered, I checked the zero for all the pellets and never reset it from prone to standing. I was low on all my shots and I keep a different zero for the same pellets from prone to standing/kneeling. It will just make me sharper tomorrow.

So south of the Welcome center would be right behind it in the section 1 area?

Anything in Yellow is Bow only and some are limited no hunting 8am to 3pm Tues to Fri

6729165713_4536b9141c_z.jpg

I parked over in this area and walked in and found many Red's.

6729165933_b9265b53b9_z.jpg

I saw the most spectatularly colored and good size Red Ive seen in weeks there today, I missed 3 different shots.... Im still beatind myself up over it. I was walking back to the car and remembered, I checked the zero for all the pellets and never reset it from prone to standing. I was low on all my shots and I keep a different zero for the same pellets from prone to standing/kneeling. It will just make me sharper tomorrow.

Walt,

I didn't realize that you need to adjust the zero from one position to the next, this is true even on the PCP?

Walt,

I didn't realize that you need to adjust the zero from one position to the next, this is true even on the PCP?

No, you may not. I happen to know my cheek to stock and eye relief are different enough in each position that it's just better to adjust my zero for standing/kneeling vs prone. This is for my springer as it is so hold sensitive. I got markings on the stock and butt for hand and nose for each pellet that I use. My PCP isn't neatly as picky and I don't have to adjust like this and I have a pellet that pretty much shoots itself.

No, you may not. I happen to know my cheek to stock and eye relief are different enough in each position that it's just better to adjust my zero for standing/kneeling vs prone. This is for my springer as it is so hold sensitive. I got markings on the stock and butt for hand and nose for each pellet that I use. My PCP isn't neatly as picky and I don't have to adjust like this and I have a pellet that pretty much shoots itself.

.... are you saying that your springer shoots differently, depending on the pellet? And by adjusting the way you hold it, you can get more accuratcy out of the different pellets?

So if this is true, maybe there is hope for the pellets that I am shooting that are not grouping well with my Nitro Piston? So far, nothing is shooting good groups except for the JSB 8.4 Grain Exacts in .177.

This is my favorite way.

1. Dip squirrel in egg.

2. Roll it in bread crumbs.

3. Brown it in olive oil and butter. (cast iron is the best)

4. After it's browned on all sides, add equal parts white wine and orange juice.

5. Simmer it until tender.

Skillet...Your recipe is similar to mine... Here's the way I do it...Works great for rabbit also..

I always skin and disjoint them right in the woods..

Shake squirrel pieces in flour seasoned with salt, coarse black pepper and poultry seasoning..

Brown in a skillet in butter and olive oil ( this helps to make the seasoning stick to the meat).

Place meat in a roaster ( I use disposable aluminum roasting pans).

Slice up an onion over meat.

Add liquid...I have used beer, wine, and chicken, turkey or beef broth. All are good according to your taste, but my favorite is chicken broth (canned or box).

Cover roaster and place in very slow ( 280-300 degree) oven until meat is fork tender...usually 2-3 hours.

Remove cover, raise temp to 400 and roast until meat is nicely browned and liquid is reduced..

Make gravy from pan drippings and serve over rice or taters.

YUM..!! I have a roaster full in the oven as I type this, with a rabbit and four squirrels...I am salivating just smelling it..<<big GRIN>>...

.... are you saying that your springer shoots differently, depending on the pellet? And by adjusting the way you hold it, you can get more accuratcy out of the different pellets?

So if this is true, maybe there is hope for the pellets that I am shooting that are not grouping well with my Nitro Piston? So far, nothing is shooting good groups except for the JSB 8.4 Grain Exacts in .177.

Yes this is exactly correct. Here is a video that shows the extreme verison of the artillery hold

I use a modified version, and for each of my pellets the hold is different. So if I know Im going to shooting offhand, I grab a certain pellet. If I might be shooting prone and I can support it correctly I grab another. If I think Ill have trees to brace on standing, I have another go to pellet. To the casual person this may seem like alot of work and even crazy, but I call it effective. Air guns allow you to hunt places where traditional firearms arent allowed or you might be close to civilization(think the APB up here). Also you can fire in close places where using even a 22 or 410 you might scare off other game. Ill recount this advantage is a post later when I have access to my pictures.

So to answer your question more directly, yes. I just got a fresh tin of JSB Exacts 8.44 grain yesterday and all my holds spray them everywhere. I got other ones that I shoot ragged holes with at 25 yards, so the 3 inch groups are not exceptable.

Walt,

Yes, section 1 is where I see the most greys, but you are right that is bow only. Have you tried the part of section 9 along highway 155 (i.e, just across the road from section 1?)

Yep I did yesterday and today. Ill recount my days in the woods with some images later.

Picked up a few last weekend in Kent. Lot of fun with the .22.

Looks quite a bit of fun indeed. Is the land you got them on relatively close to an urban/suburb setting or a out in the sticks? They look a bit smaller than the house cat sized ones around here and did you knock any of them out of the trees?

Walt,

I've watched that video 4-5 times prior to joining this forum, cool video indeed.

However, I was not aware of the different holds, with the same gun using different pellets. That's AMAZING! And I'm very grateful that you have shared that information with us. As of now, my airgun will not shoot anything aside from the JSB's mentioned.

Really looking forward to meeting you one day Walt.

Walt,

I've watched that video 4-5 times prior to joining this forum, cool video indeed.

However, I was not aware of the different holds, with the same gun using different pellets. That's AMAZING! And I'm very grateful that you have shared that information with us. As of now, my airgun will not shoot anything aside from the JSB's mentioned.

Really looking forward to meeting you one day Walt.

I kinda happened upon the different holds for different pellets by chance. Ill post later with some images and explain it out.

I look forward to meeting up and sniping some squirresl or even just a shoot around also.

Well I had a nice quick hunt at the APB yesterday. Here are the spoils, knocked each one of them out of the trees to where they came crashing DOA to earth.

6736206655_3d1fe6ef8b_z.jpg

and his buddy that he was sharing lunch with. Now will all have a lunch date together...

6736207415_7a48894903_z.jpg

We like to chase after them with the .22, head shots first. We cover a lot of ground on DEP land looking for them. Gives you a reason to get out in the winter and walk the land. I get to see where the deer moving with a light snow.

I too prefer the 22 head shot as well. Whole lot more fun.

I believe in letting them lay for a while so you don't kill yur spot. All depends on whether they are head shot or body shot. Like deer they should be dressed out as soon as you can within reason.

I quarter them, flour and small get fried, large get browned and potted or stewed. Even a pot pie made with them. You need a bunch at least one per person. Rib cage hasn't got much on it but flavors a pot.