Squirrel

Skillet

Well I went over to the welcome center the other day at APB and one does not need a permit to leave the trails. They said the non toxic shot in pellet guns are not an absolute but a strong suggestion(plea). I suppose Ill try long golds, but to be honest Id rather take a single shot with a known consistent performer and ensure a clean kill and less damage to the environment with errant shots...

Here is one I got today over at Ushers Road, I had to push him in from the edge till I cleared the 500 ft from resident signs...

post-1811-0-43329200-1326316582_thumb.jp

Edited by waltny

Did you aim for the head? At how many yards did you take the shot?

Ive had head shots go wrong a couple of times(.177 up to .25 cal air rifle) and will now only take the upper chest cavity shots. I have a lot of my kills documented(pictures) and could write up a lengthy report on why I only do body shots. Of course its a case study to all my own and Im sure someone can and will make a compelling argument the other way.

to find squirrels just sit down like your deer hunting lol thats when i always see them lol

Seems one has to locate them around this area then set up an AO to lay in wait for them to start moving. Also, in the woods Reds and Greys both have different behaviors that need to be taken into account.

Always works that way. When I'm deer hunting, I see tons of squirrels. When I go squirrel hunting, I can never find them.

Ive found it only works that way when you locate them and then sit and wait for an hour or more to come out of their dens.

Went to Parcel 45 today and was completely skunked. Weather looks crappu for the rest of the week so not sure when I'll get out again...

I was going to go back to Ushers Road and APB and then this slop came in. I didnt even see a squirrel over at parcel 45 any of the 3 times I was over there. Im wondering if you have to bushwack off the trail to find them, but then they will all be hid by the time you get there. Ill go make a 50lb black oil suet cake and hang it out there for them smack in the middle of the area...

There is some county land and more state land further past Parcel 45 for you fellas that are interested. A larger piece of state land is off of exit 16 and there is the Wilton preserve too, the county land is off of rt 50 heading out past parcel 45. Go to Ballard Rd and take a right at the light and go down there to where it becomes Taylor road and then you will see signs for the county land on your left.

There is some county land and more state land further past Parcel 45 for you fellas that are interested. A larger piece of state land is off of exit 16 and there is the Wilton preserve too, the county land is off of rt 50 heading out past parcel 45. Go to Ballard Rd and take a right at the light and go down there to where it becomes Taylor road and then you will see signs for the county land on your left.

http://www.wiltonpreserve.org/wp-content/uploads/2011/02/Protected_Lands_022311.pdf

http://www.wiltonpreserve.org/recreation/hunting

The break up of the land there seemed like a bit of a hassle to put up with. If it is teeming with squirrels though.... it will be with worth it.

What is the one off of 16 your talking about? I looked on the SLIM http://www.dec.ny.gov/outdoor/45415.html and didnt see it.... oops county. Can you contact Saratoga County and get a list of available county land for hunting, or does one have to go though the DEC for it?

I only know about the county land because I drive by it every day, I live down the road from the one side of it. But you can look through the tax maps if you had time, I know county land some times shows up on google maps too.

The land by exit 16 is for sure state land, it goes from Edie Road over to Scout road and Ballard, which is the next chunk over from the preserve area. Some of it is Boy Scout land, hence scout road. I see guys deer hunting it all the time, there is a parking area right before the train tracks on Ballard road. That is another chunk I go by every day and yet have never bothered to look around.

It was raining pretty good yesterday, but i went out and got 3. Could have had more, 4 were in one tree chasing eachother and in another there was 3 in on tree. I dont know if the rain had something to do with it, but it worked for me!

Reds or Greys? Sounds like greys...

If the wind wasnt so bad here I would have went out today, but I only did some road scouting.

I did get back to the house and I had 2 greys scampering around in the back yard knownly taunting me and my itchy trigger finger.

I only know about the county land because I drive by it every day, I live down the road from the one side of it. But you can look through the tax maps if you had time, I know county land some times shows up on google maps too.

The land by exit 16 is for sure state land, it goes from Edie Road over to Scout road and Ballard, which is the next chunk over from the preserve area. Some of it is Boy Scout land, hence scout road. I see guys deer hunting it all the time, there is a parking area right before the train tracks on Ballard road. That is another chunk I go by every day and yet have never bothered to look around.

You know anything about the county forest on Pettis Road in the town of Northumberland? It is just up the road from Camp Saratoga state land by Ballard and Dimmick off EX 16

You know anything about the county forest on Pettis Road in the town of Northumberland? It is just up the road from Camp Saratoga state land by Ballard and Dimmick off EX 16

This from the town's web site..

"Saratoga County owns and maintains forest lands within the Town of Northumberland that provide for passive recreation and the protection of open space. The “Fire Pond” tract, located on Pettis Road, consists of 123 acres of forest. The largest tract, bordered by Duncan, Colebrook and Taylor Roads, consists of 377 acres of reforestation lands and is located in the central portion of town. The county preserve also includes the 104 acre Kalabus woodlot, which is located at the end of Gailor Lane in the southern section of Northumberland.

The county manages these lands for timber production, but town residents and visitors use them for hiking, biking and other recreational uses. Only recently have gates been installed to curb littering and illegal dumping."

It looks to be fair game aswell, I am going to have to check it out some day too. Looks like a pond I might be able to use for dog training..hmm

I was hoping for a little more personal knowledge. I had found that website also, guess that means I'll just have get boots on the ground and eyes in the trees. Win win all the way around and I'll post a report.

What I can say is that in the last few days since I've been posting in this thread, I've been able to find a couple 100 of acres of county and state land I didn't know existed to hunt squirrels on. Not only that but a few folks that share my passion for air guns and hunting them.

This from the town's web site..

"Saratoga County owns and maintains forest lands within the Town of Northumberland that provide for passive recreation and the protection of open space. The “Fire Pond” tract, located on Pettis Road, consists of 123 acres of forest. The largest tract, bordered by Duncan, Colebrook and Taylor Roads, consists of 377 acres of reforestation lands and is located in the central portion of town. The county preserve also includes the 104 acre Kalabus woodlot, which is located at the end of Gailor Lane in the southern section of Northumberland.

The county manages these lands for timber production, but town residents and visitors use them for hiking, biking and other recreational uses. Only recently have gates been installed to curb littering and illegal dumping."

It looks to be fair game aswell, I am going to have to check it out some day too. Looks like a pond I might be able to use for dog training..hmm

Guy's did you meet up for the squirrel hunt? If so how did you make out? How many guy's showed up?

Dave

Actually, yes we did. There were 4 of us. 4 squirrels were taken, but many more were seen. More than likely, the take would have been better, but the damned wind was horrible. It was a blast, as far as I was concerned. It was me, ShawnHu, Elmo, and his brother Pete, who is in the Army. Great bunch of guys.

13BVET said it, it was a blast!(liternally too) We had a lot of fun, and learned a few things too! I got in some hunting experience in, and learned a few things about keeping out of trouble. All-in-all, very good experience, and very grateful to 13BVET for putting this thing together. Nothing more this newbie could have asked for.

BTW, Elmo tells me that my shots were through-and-through. Entry was body, and exit was by the neck. This should be at least a one lung shot, twice. I think I either need to switch to hollow points, larger caliber, or try for the head with a more accurate gun.