Almost time to start some tsi

Its almost time to get out there and fell unwanted/ less desirable trees in the woods again. hingecut a few redmaple and generally improve the hunting by providing winter browse and overall saw timber in the woods. I try to do about 5 acres a year. At least the snow isn't going to be a problem so far. tough to walk thru when its deep leet alone run away from a falling tree...

you cannot beat the return in hinge cutting, like all said the best thing for all wildlife. I believe it is even preferred over food plots. I end up with more trail pics from hinge cut areas than my food plots, and for a lot less $$ to boot.

What knd of trees do you hinge cut? Any? I would think it would have to be a type with nutrional value. Is it designed for nutrition in the spring? All the trees are bare now.

Yes the trees are bare of leaves but loaded with buds which is high value food in winter. I prefer to hinge cut along the top of ridges or ravines on the leaward side of wind travel. Cut the trees 3-4' high and help to lay down. Now the food is there and it will grow very thick, which in turn makes great cover. The tree wil not die. Deer love to lay in heavy cover to there back (wind side) and open where they can see & have a great escape area like a ridge top or ravine.

The hinge cut will not kill the trees and they will send up suckers in the spring off the stump and trunk. the purose is to place buds / new growth within a deers reach. Yes you can replant trees but remember you just created a feeding area so you need to protect your seedlings by planting inside the tops or using some kind of tree protector!.. Good trees to hinge cut are red maple, ash, oak are good but only if you have them in excess as the sprout readily from stumps.