DEC DEER Rating in your WMU?

SteveMcD

I agree that the state usually doenst manage anything correctly, especially money. Maybe the money collected from timber harvesting of areas like the Adirondacks should be put back into the programs for managing and purchase of state managed lands through the conservation fund. Youd think it could be pretty simple, but like you said, this IS New York we are talking about.

I remember on a canoe trip through the AP seeing cherry trees 4' across. with a 4' chunk cut out to open the path back up after the micro-burst came through.It made me wanna cry there was a fortune in timber that was just going to lay there and rot.

You all make very good points. Esp. Joe. My perception is due to a few old timers that claim after Moose River was opened and many bucks and doe were taken in a short period the area never recovered. The guy I meet this year states he no longer hunts Moose River due to low population and said the same thing as the others... After hunting moose river for over 20 years I have come to the conclusion that 1 deer per square mile is a very good estimate for this area. Yes the ADK does have many deer in it but it varies greatly. I have noticed the town's usually have very good populations while other area's vary due to habitat usually. I would just like a better population of deer in Moose River. With the exception of this year I am usually the only person to see deer. Now I know you think I am saying this because of that but I am not. I think it would be nice if more than one person could see more than one deer in 6 guys for a week, thats all. Even if they did help that does not by any means make more deer for us to see or hunt but it would hopfully help deer in there winter yard in the hardest times. The old timer stated "The solitude up here sucks!" He was refering to the fact that some area's seem void of ANY wildlife. He refered forever wild to forever dead lol. But you are all right, GOD forbid we let NYS log and find out it help animals and deer, they would probably wipe out the forest... And yes the age structure in the ADK is great! Better off leaving well enough alone, lol so much for venting. :-) And yes I agree, one day when it's been dry for a long time and we get that bad lightning storm it will go up in flames.

We have a hunting club that borders our camp. The original owned sold the land to the new club and had logging rights for 5 years. So for the past two years it has been logger all through the year. Last year we only shot one buck between12 guys. This year with all the logging activity there are more does and bucks roaming our property. This year we shot 4 bucks and one doe. I think this was a result of the logging and the deer had food all through the winter. The guys in our camp don't shoot does but I will on occasion.

I think logging is a great thing.. just not when politicians are the ones controlling who, what when where and how... better when you actually have a stake in the land itself and also use it for another purpose... most NY politicians have never even been to the adirondacks..lol

my camp is in 9p,we got 5 deer 2bow, 2gun, 1 ml. seen a ton of sign, alot of deer scouting and in bow, not so many in gun seasons. we had 7 guys for opening week of gun, after sat. and sun. the 1st. weekend 8 of 11 camps in area were closed down, tough weather and NO hunters doesn't help. i don't know if everybody gives up too easy or they are scared of crappy weather? just too many empty-no hunters- acres around i think.