Never gone predator hunting...

jimbo91

Hey guys, neither me, nor anyone in my family has ever gone predator hunting, but I would really like to shoot some coyotes.. Where would I even start? what do I need to start? and whats the best caliber to use? I see a TON of people using AR-15's so .223? I would probably need a call, but what else? And why hunt them? you wouldn't eat a coyote, so is it pretty much just for pelts and predator control?

Hey guys, neither me, nor anyone in my family has ever gone predator hunting, but I would really like to shoot some coyotes.. Where would I even start? what do I need to start? and whats the best caliber to use? I see a TON of people using AR-15's so .223? I would probably need a call, but what else? And why hunt them? you wouldn't eat a coyote, so is it pretty much just for pelts and predator control?

Well, I certainly am not a great one to be answering this question since I have never shot one of these critters. however, I have called in foxes, and I guess that's close......lol.

The gun ....... I use a .223 and a .222 before that. I have read that these are pretty good coyote guns. However, they are not the only ones. Calls ....... How much money do you want to spend? Want to invest in an e-caller? Want remote control? Want to keep it personal with hand held mouth operated calls? Want to use electronic visual decoys? You're probably getting the picture that it is all pretty personalized with a whole lot of options limited only by your interest and the amount of cash in your pocket.

Check out the magazine rack at your favorite grocery store and look for a magazine called X-treme Predator .... or something like that. That thing is full of articles and product advertisements. Also, there are quite a few internet sources for info on coyote hunting. By the way, don't forget baiting. An old road killed carcass can be quite a draw for all kinds of varmints.

Of course the most important thing that you have to have is a plentiful source of coyotes.

You think deer hunters are twisted individuals who will climb out of bed and sit in extreme weather and do unsensible things for a buck? Wait til you meet a predator hunting nut....

I enjoy it once in a while, but this particular time of year is when i recharge my batteries, ice fish, and catch up with the family. Still, I make it out a couple days. Most people get an electronic caller. I don't have anything fancy, just a Johnny Stewart model that was cheap. Play the wind like deer hunting. Deciding on a caliber is much like any other pick, preference.

Kevin Kishel, who most people know of, prefers shotguns with turkey loads here in NY most of the time. It makes sense since he sets up closer to brush and structure in NY. If you set up on fields, then obviously you are going to want a rifle. Such a wide variety of choices. .223 is probably the most popular. I'm in the hunt for a .243 because I can make it double duty as a deer rifle. I know a few people who use the .243 because of that and do well with the varmint loads.

You think deer hunters are twisted individuals who will climb out of bed and sit in extreme weather and do unsensible things for a buck? Wait til you meet a predator hunting nut....

Oh come on, you dont like going out on a nice, windy, 10 degree snow filled night in late January to shine a light around while listening to the electronic squeals of a dying bunny???? :D

If you just starting, pick something easier to begin with like coons, coyotes are way smarter than people think....in my area they are mostly nocturnal so if you can afford nightvision scope go for it it will make your life easier otherwise you will drag big heavy lights and all what comes with it. Most importantly scout, scout, scout, you can't shoot them if they are not there :-) AR in 5.56/.223 is a good choice, you have a quick follow up shot in case you miss the first one. Don't get discouraged if you see nothing and be prepared this is very addictive :-)