Bait or attractants

courtguy2005

Good answer joe and to add to it our case of cwd came from out west and was brought into ny state by a deer farm that was a taxidermist. That is the reason every deer farm in the country has cleaner animals than there is in the wild. Every farm is held to the upmost testing known to man. We have to cwd test on dead animals, We have to be tb tested every three years and we have a herd inventory done by the state to insure that all animals are accounted for!! Trust me when i say ny state has our best intrests in mind when it comes to the deer farming part. Ny state is the hardest state in the country to get any new deer into. The guy that had deer was very sloppy with his taxidermy animals and with his deer he kept for his visual to mount deer. He let them in contact with cwd material and he let them escape his farm. I would go out on a limb and say you will never see cwd in ny again but if it does it wont be from a deer farm!!!!! Steve sorry for the kinda cursing but sometimes people just dont have a clue what their words( which are totally false) can do to others!!!!

I don't know what has gotten you all pissed off. Do you work at a deer farm that has captive deer? What did you object to, didn't they find CWD in Captive deer? Regardless how it came to be it came from a captive deer farm in NYS. Read the post from Growsalot and go to the DEC web site, I think most of us are well informed about CWD and not a bunch of dip S--t's. If the captive deer farms had all this testing why didn't they find the disease? Edited by Dave

Dave i do raise whitetails and please read my last post as to where and how cwd came to being. A guy with deer..Yes..Did it come from his penned deer... Yes.. Was it brought into his herd...Yes.. From a deer he brought in from out west and was very sloppy with his waste from the deer mounted. He was a very sloppy taxidermist with the waste and also had poor upkeep of his farm and the deer escaped. This info i recieved from inside the deer world. As far as deer behind fences ever getting cwd or tb...It wont happen unless laws are broken and someone brings a deer into ny state without proper permits!!! I can never stop laughing from the stories people start about pen deer being sick and transmitting some kind of bug to the wild deer.Like i said our deer are in better shape because of all the testing we have to go through. We have to go through hoops to bring in new bloodlines into the state but when its all said and done...We know our deer are clean!!!

Dave i do raise whitetails and please read my last post as to where and how cwd came to being. A guy with deer..Yes..Did it come from his penned deer... Yes.. Was it brought into his herd...Yes.. From a deer he brought in from out west and was very sloppy with his waste from the deer mounted. He was a very sloppy taxidermist with the waste and also had poor upkeep of his farm and the deer escaped. This info i recieved from inside the deer world. As far as deer behind fences ever getting cwd or tb...It wont happen unless laws are broken and someone brings a deer into ny state without proper permits!!! I can never stop laughing from the stories people start about pen deer being sick and transmitting some kind of bug to the wild deer.Like i said our deer are in better shape because of all the testing we have to go through. We have to go through hoops to bring in new bloodlines into the state but when its all said and done...We know our deer are clean!!!

Well, I guess inspite of all these laws, regulations, restrictions, and good intentions, the unthinkable was still able to happen ..... and did. It appears that we may have dodged the bullet ...... this time.

• Like 1

As long as there are people who try to buck the system there will be the potential for CWD... as we all know.. some just refuse to play by the rules sometimes...

Joe, I am not sure how many farms raise deer in NY but just eliminating them would go a long way in preventing CWD. After all that is where it all started, like cutting off the head of a snake. Sorry if this offends 4 seasons. JMHO

Joe, I am not sure how many farms raise deer in NY but just eliminating them would go a long way in preventing CWD. After all that is where it all started, like cutting off the head of a snake. Sorry if this offends 4 seasons. JMHO

Not really necessary to eliminate them.. like 4 season says.. they are highly regulated... there is more danger form hunters bringing in kills from out of state than any of the deer farms... it would be easy for a hunter to bring an infected deer from an out of state hunt without even knowing it... most hunters, believe it or not ... have no idea that there are laws against transporting deer into the state.. and it is harder to police... making it much more of a threat than any deer farm.

Not really necessary to eliminate them.. like 4 season says.. they are highly regulated... there is more danger form hunters bringing in kills from out of state than any of the deer farms... it would be easy for a hunter to bring an infected deer from an out of state hunt without even knowing it... most hunters, believe it or not ... have no idea that there are laws against transporting deer into the state.. and it is harder to police... making it much more of a threat than any deer farm.

Joe, if they are so highly regulated than what happened? Once they found where the CWD started, what did they do to the deer farm owner is he still in operation? I hear your logic about other hunters bringing in deer from out of state, but how would that contaminate the deer in the wild?

Dave you have an opinion and i will respect that but your way of thinking does not hold water. Do you realize that you can go to the state of micigian and hunt wild deer that have had cwd and mabey end up killing a deer that tests positive for cwd??? You can go hunt deer behind any fenced in ranch in the same state and you will never kill one that has cwd. Its kinda a joke when it comes to all the testing that we have to do but it is for the better of all whitetails. When the case of cwd was brought into ny state it never really had anything to do with a deer farm. The waste material that that guy had was tossed out the door for any animal to have contact with and it just so happens that it was his penned deer that came in contact with that waste. It could have been any wild deer that did but we dodged a bullet and that did not happen. Just as joe said if people want to break laws then anything can happen and any disease can be brought into the state.We have laws in effect to stop that from happening but laws only work if people use them. Do you realize you or i can go hunting in any of the states that still have cwd issues,Kill a deer.bring it back into nys throw the waste out into the wild and if a deer comes in contact with it....bingo we have cwd. We just broke the law but we now have cwd.... Try to kill a deer behind a fence with any kind of health problems.... Impossible to do and also it is legal to bring ANY DEER taken from ANY FENCED IN HERD from ANY STATE that HAS CWD...into ny state...Whats that tell ya???

Dave you have an opinion and i will respect that but your way of thinking does not hold water. Do you realize that you can go to the state of micigian and hunt wild deer that have had cwd and mabey end up killing a deer that tests positive for cwd??? You can go hunt deer behind any fenced in ranch in the same state and you will never kill one that has cwd. Its kinda a joke when it comes to all the testing that we have to do but it is for the better of all whitetails. When the case of cwd was brought into ny state it never really had anything to do with a deer farm. The waste material that that guy had was tossed out the door for any animal to have contact with and it just so happens that it was his penned deer that came in contact with that waste. It could have been any wild deer that did but we dodged a bullet and that did not happen. Just as joe said if people want to break laws then anything can happen and any disease can be brought into the state.We have laws in effect to stop that from happening but laws only work if people use them. Do you realize you or i can go hunting in any of the states that still have cwd issues,Kill a deer.bring it back into nys throw the waste out into the wild and if a deer comes in contact with it....bingo we have cwd. We just broke the law but we now have cwd.... Try to kill a deer behind a fence with any kind of health problems.... Impossible to do and also it is legal to bring ANY DEER taken from ANY FENCED IN HERD from ANY STATE that HAS CWD...into ny state...Whats that tell ya???

4Seasons, I have read all your posts and appreciate all you do to keep CWD out of the deer you raise. I just hope the other deer ranchers are as dilegent as you. Would hate to have it happen again.

Dave

Dave i agree 110% and again if we get it brought in it will be by illegal means by deer farmers or hunters alike. Deer farms are so regulated that i doubt someone would be that stupid to go around the law and bring a deer into the state without a permit from the dept of ag. If they ever got nabbed doing that they would have their whole herd destroyed on sight.... Not worth it with the thousands i have invested but we all know there are all kinds of people out there..so who knows!!!

The one incident I am aware of happened a few miles from where I live... the guy was a taxidermist and raised deer for photgraphy purposes... Don't qoute me on this.. but, I believe they euthenized all of his deer... I also heard that he had given venison to a game dinner in the area that was feared contaminated... nobody at the dinner had any ill effects from having eaten the meat. I knew of the guy and he was kind of a bandit and got caught doing some shady stuff... I don't even know if anyone knew he had any captive deer... until the the game dinner incident...

I am not sure of all the details... just bits and pieces I heard at the time from others that knew him... eliminating deer farms would not have stopped this guy...