New York Pistol Permit Process and the different license types Concealed, Target

I started this thread because there was another where people were talking about NY state Pistol laws.  Anyways, what bothers me is how some counties have their own restrictions / rules / licensing then other counties.  In addition, why is it difficult to get a concealed carry?  Nassau / Suffolk  the fee's are out of hand, the waiting time is nuts, and you must renew every 5 years bringing every pistol as well. 

What are your thoughts?

What exactly constitutes an acceptable "need" to have a concealed carry? Its not clear anywhere that I have read.

As I have stated in other threads I find it hard to swallow the fact I have a out of state PA concealed carry pistol permit and have more rights there then in my own home state.  And that license gave me reciprocal rights to many other states as well.

we are on  asinking ship as far as permits go. every year it is getting tougher and tougher. in my county the judge will no longer give a concel carry permit, and he is a gun owner. You get a permit for home and to go to the shooting range only.  If you get caught somewhere else, you lose your permit and handguns.  the more control, the more control. the less we have and it will get worse.

The pistol permit system has been in place for a long time and while it has some flaws, it works pretty well. If you had the system the same way it is up here, I doubt you would be complaining about much. It can take a little time to get the permit, but once you do, theres no renewal, no fees to pay after you get the permit, and it costs less than $200 to get. Now, if NY went with a similar standard for the whole state, it would be an improvement. If you could also carry across state lines, that would make it just about perfect.

Of course, there are those of us here that would complain about something no matter what the system was.

again that sounds great in theory, but it is a fantasy, without the federal govt taking over the process, unless you can explain how it will work otherwise.  If you got  permit when I did and it ws 17 bucks, took two weeks and no restrictions, you would not think todays system was so great.  It is slowly becoming tougher and next step is impossible.  The change is gradual and is taking away our rights to have a handgun until it is gone.  Inch by inch stil gets you to the finish line. 

Like Ive already said, states already recognize each other's drivers licenses, it could be the same way with pistol permits. In fact, it already is with 20+ states. It would be up to the gun owner to review and know the specific gun laws in the states which they are traveling in. No federal control required, like I said its already being done without it. Go get your Utah permit and carry away!

http://publicsafety.utah.gov/bci/FAQother.html

BTW, Id rather have people need to cough up a little dough for the permit and have a better system of checking backgrounds nationally, not just locally or state wide. $200 really isnt much, if you can afford to buy a $500+ gun, you can afford $200 for the permit.

I actually have my fla permit. And did you knwo that for the permit to be recognized by the other states, you need to be a resident of the state the permit is issued in?, not just an add on form NY.  Read the paperwork closely. If you get stopped in another state witha fla or ut permit and a ny drivers license, the permit is no good in that state.  So buy some land in ut to establih residency.  That came from law enforcement.

• 2 months later...