Do you think they are the same buck?

Dakota Dog

I have 2 pictures of a buck from 2010 and then 2 pictures of a buck from 2011. I do not think they are the same deer but my buddy that hunts with me feels that they are. What do you folks think? Same buck or different buck's and why? The buck in velvet had is picture taken about 30 yards away from the picture of the buck from 2010.

post-385-0-08161300-1326748220_thumb.jpg

post-385-0-38129200-1326748242_thumb.jpg

post-385-0-08299500-1326748308_thumb.jpg

post-385-0-66306000-1326748322_thumb.jpg

• 4 weeks later...

I think you just saw documented evidence how much a buck can grow over a year, Maybe between 3 and 4 years old, greater possiblity from a great 2year old and 3year old now that would be my thought 2 in first 2 pics due to bases and 3 in second.. Tough to judge velvet pics as the seem heavier than they are at least for me.. brows are same, lopsided and point pattern is similiar the main beams grew in legnth as well i would say same buck. just aged and matured over a year. unless one would know habitat and growth patterns its never 100% but bucks can really bloom between 2 and 3 and 3 and 4 after that antlers may gain mass and kickers but always similiar.. the this years photos are to poor to see body characteristics(torn ears, scars, ect) sometimes thats the only way to tell if a 2 year old is the same as a 3 year old the next year.Unfortunatly most people would shoot the buck in the first 2 pics as a great two year old and not allow it to mature, that is a problem with points per side rather than spending the time learning body charastics and studing trail cam photos to learn what is around and how they grown.

Edited by G-Man

tough call when done by the antlers alone. While the brow pattern is the same (left brow longer than right) the main beams sure do take a diferent path.

The G2's on the 2010 buck also are shorter in length than the G3's, while the 2011 buck has equal or slightly longer length G2's. While I'm not sure how much things can change as a buck ages, it does look like a different antler pattern.

Edited by skyhunter

We did see the 2010 buck during season in 2010. We did not see any bucks close to this size in the 2011 season. We have alot on camera but nothing during the hunting season and infact we never seen the 2011 buck after velvet. I will just have to keep the cameras rolling. I have started a file of pictures so I can compair year after year.