Chicory

Anyone incorprate chicory in your food plots? I'm sitting here trying to figure out what im going to do for a plot this yr. I was to busy to get it done last yr and relied on the acorns which ended up falling through and my deer sightings went to almost nill this yr on one property compaired to last yr. All the deer stayed on the neighbors hay fields and brush lots. I have read that if you take care of a plot of chicory and white clover it could last up to 5 yrs. Which would be handy to just have to mow every once in a while instead of busting my hump trying to get a plot in evey yr.

chickory is ok , very deep rooted and tough to get rid of once you have it established. personally a good clover mix works better for me. if you want a late draw just add some turnip seed to your plot once a year in july it will grow but will not crowd out the clover which chickory can do if planted to heavy. Best clover mix i found is whitetail institute clover. draws all year and i;ve had deer paw thru 2 ft of snow to get to it as well. mow 1 or 2x a year and your set for 4-5 years longer if better prep is done to really kill out the competeing weeds/grasses.

Best to plant chicory next to your mailbox:

Pretty blue-eyed Appalachian girl loses her boyfriend, a whiz of a pitcher, to the Major Leagues. He promises to write every day...and does for a couple of weeks. The blue-eyed beauty waits by the mailbox every day as the frequency of letters diminishes gradually and then stops altogether. She still waits...greets the mailman every day with an increasingly sad look on her beautiful face. When she fails to show up one day, the mailman becomes concerned...and after four such days, inquires of her mother if anything is wrong. "She's sick" said her mother, "Won't eat...won't get out of bed!" Sometime, late that winter, that pretty blue-eyed Applachian girl died....of a broken heart!

Late spring/early summer the next year, the mailman discovers some beautiful blue wildflowers growing near the dead girl's mailbox. They remind him of the girl's pretty blue eyes. He is certain they represent the girl's spirit...She's still waiting!!

Remember it this way: Blue-eyed Girl Waiting

Boy Of Summer Sends No Mail

Now Chicory Grows!

Highly recomend chickory in with a legume mixture. Have planted clover,chicory mixes for years, and will continue to do so. It does spread in certain conditions, but can be elimated by plow down. Don't mind it growing, even in other crops. Several types of wildlife enjoy it. Over the past few years, male turkeys seem to drawned to it more, in late fall. Looking for research for the reason.

• Like 1