Tuning The Ruger GP 100

As I mentioned in another thread below I picked a Ruger GP 100 357 revolver, it is a good solid strong reliable gun but just a tad rough. So I went to my customary improvements needed in my mind. Trigger was heavy, on my gauge single action was averaging around 4.8 lbs but nice and crisp, so I sent off for a set of Wilson combat trigger and hammer springs. The stock sights were not good for my old eyes so I purchased a set of Williams fire type sights which I have become a huge fan of, I have installed on all of my open sight firearms. Last but not least the stock Hogue grips I did not care for at all for either looks and feel, so I went with upgraded Ruger target style grips with the rosewood inserts. All the stuff arrived today so I got at it.

First thing was to disassemble and stone and polish any moving parts that mated with each other. I then installed both sets of Wilson springs and put the gun back together. Installed the new grips which I like a lot and then put the new sights on, the front one was a pain in the ass and had to be filed down and hand fitted. Got the trigger gauge out and she is now averaging 3,1 lbs, about a pound and a half improvement and also the polished parts made everything nice and slick, overall I am more than pleased.

Now hopefully this gun will shoot all those 38 special target loads I did up over the spring and summer.

A couple of pics of before and after. 

Al

2020-11-16_102459.png

2020-11-16_162539.png

Edited by airedale
  • Like 8