winter creek cam

skyhunter

How high is your cam mounted? Creeks around here are really high!!

Nice pics. (again)

Good point! next spring I'll be setting out some cameras over in the swamp and along the creek. I know that sucker gets super ugly with the snow run-off and spring rains. I fully expect there to be times when I won't even be able to get near the cameras. On the other hand, I don't want to mount them so darn high that everything swims or walks under them without tripping the sensor. It's going to be a heck of a balancing routine, but I sure don't want to see my cameras under water either ..... lol. Another thing I have to watch out for is that I don't mount the cameras to some trees that the beavers decide to cut down and lug away. Imagine that ...... going over to check the cameras and finding nothing but a stump. That wouldn't make my day.

yes, running cams on a creek can be a job. I normally set them to be horinzontally level to where I expect the subjects to be positioned, but a common height for me is about 1.5 feet above water level.

now you factor in rainfall and the constant rising and falling of that water level, and what you got is a very labor intensive hobby. There were many times last year where I had to make runs durring rain storms, sometimes in the middle of the night to save my cams from going under. Sometimes a few went under, but luckily I did not suffer any casualties on these occasions. I have lost cams in the past, but with homebrew units you can often replace the board or the camera itself and bring that unit back to life.

Nice Pics !!! I never thought of it but I have a stream on my property and Beavers have set up shop and I think I'll set up a trail cam nearby and get a few pics . Irene took out their dam from last year - the first time they were in the area - but they just moved it to a better location on the stream !