Late season

rachunter

I'm heading back up for the last week of rifle and late muzzle loader/crossbow. I have to put in for vacation a year in advance,so i took the last week of rifle and the week of late muzzy hoping for snow,But in keeping with this year my 4x4 broke and i'll be using my AWD which means i'll be limited to pavement only.No biggie i'm still pumped for it.Being that i got a doe during the early muzzleloader with my inline i'm going to use my caplock and crossbow. I'm more excited about setting a few traps out for the first time. The weather doesn't look to bad with a few small snow falls,but all so a lot of rain.

Here's my doe from the early season.There was no harvest thread for the muzzleloader or i couldn't find it. Good luck to everyone still hunting and congrats to all the successful !!!!!!

IMG_0033.JPG

• Like 16

I think I will head up for the late ML weekend also.  I will probably just use 1/2 of a vacation day on Friday, so I dont have to drive up on the dark.  I dont have too many of those left, after using some for the early ML season.  I like it that the ML season opens a week earlier up there than it does in the SZ.

I will probably use another vacation day for the last Monday of the SZ ML season, and head down to my buddy's camp in the southern tier.

I am hoping for some snow, but not too much to make the drive up difficult. I will be making the trip up there with my front wheel drive suv.  I will have 4wd once I get up there, because I gave my father in law my old Silverado to use to keep the camp roads open.  It does real good in the deep snow and ice, with a bed full of sandbags, and tire chains all around.

I am hoping to get a second chance on a big Adirondack buck that I was too slow on the draw for on opening day of rifle season.  I also will have an antlerless tag, which are usually easy to fill up there, if there is snow.  One more deer would be just right for our freezer this year.

Good luck on your trip.  Adirondack deer are worth 10X southern zone ones for the scenery factor alone.  First good snow up there trumps peak fall foliage, because it makes it a lot easier to kill a deer.

Edited by wolc123
  • Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

Ended the rifle season not seeing a deer only had the snow on the ground for two days. Going to hunt my property with the muzzle loader and crossbow this week. My property is more of an afternoon area,I’ll be sleeping in a little and doing some chores around here. The trapping hasn’t produced anything yet. I took a walk around and set a few dog proofs and trail cams the only thing I got on cam was a few deer and a porcupine. It looks like ether someone trap or the beaver moved on my pond is a stream again. I’m not complaining those things are very destructive.

Hopefully the late season produces.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

It looks like there is snow in the forecast up there for Wed, but warming up and rain for the weekend, when I can finally get back up there. 

I hope there will be enough cold and snow prior to that, to push the herd down from Tug hill. My spot is to the north, but it don't look very promising.  

It looks like I will be using my tree umbrella again.  It will be strange with no snow up there on mid December.  I would rather sit up there with my ML in the rain, and at least have a slim chance at a buck, than down here in the SZ with my shotgun. 

I could only go for does here next weekend, and I have not seen one of those since opening day.  

• Like 1