Stateland /improving

Funny how they will allow a farmer to use the state land and have food plots. But a person or group who wants to improve habitat is not allowed? Thier is no reason the Dacks can not hold large amounts of deer yet it has been turning into a bird sanctuary for years and will continue in area's with high canopy. The towns would thrive if they made access to area's better and improved habitat. Who wants to drive 45 min + every morning to get to the hunting area... Many towns upstate have access to state land yet the trails are sometimes restricted by private owners making access impossible. Open more trails and better access to state land, if done properly could help with habitat. Anything would help. Otherwise I would look real funny walking around the woods with 2 big bags of seed and a crumb trail to follow but I like the idea!!! Just don't like the idea of getting a ticket for it... I will have to dig a hole for my apple cores as it would not be legal for the deer to eat them... Im gona look funny hiking a box of apples back 5 miles, just a thought...

• 2 months later...

Got out of work at noon today so I went to the state land that I hunt.And not to my suprise was picking up trash once again,this is geting very old but I just cant get over this stupid BS.Something has to be done about this it realy is not that expensive to take to the dump/transfer station's.We have adopt a highway program why not adopt a state land program.Our taxes-dollar's payed to the state for what they dont even pick up the trash,The DEC,GAME WARDEN'S DRIVE AROUND WITH PICKUP'S AND DONT BOTHER TO DO A DAMN THING BUT BUST OUR CHOP'S.Sorry just had to vent.

Dom I feel your pain, I was at some state land that I hunt today and there was DEC in there looking for " road hunters " I guess some scum has been back there shooting deer off the seasonal roads. No sooner did I walk 200 yards more and there was a guy and his son that had a tree stand stolen. It's horrible to think that I don't even want to go back to that land anymore. Between the poaching and the people running around stealing stands im threw with that!

IN the area here, a local farmer plants either alfalfa or corn on a piece of state land. They have to leave a certain amount every year for feed

That happens here as well...sometimes it depends on how the state came into that land....ie ...a conservancy sale where they had a deal with a local farmer,,,or land given to the state with certain easements....or like when the state bought the water shed lakes from Rochester and there were leases being up held after the sale