870 w/deer bll,rifle sites change to TruGlow sights

I have a 870 with the smooth bore deer bll with rifle sights. I'd like to replace the sites with the Tru Glow sites, red front site, double green dot on the rear. Is this easy enough to do or does a gunsmith need to do it? Rear site looks easy enough, but front site concens me.

I wouldn't do it, but then I'm not a big fan of the TruGlo sights. Better to buy, or trade for a new barrel with vent rib and remchoke system. You could add the TruGlo sights to that very easily, and by switching choke tubes have an all-purpose shotgun.

Not that hard. You'll save yourself a few ucks by taking yor time and tapping out the front sight, and sliding the new one in. No need to switch to a vent rib with a rifled choke, they don't pattern much better than your smoth bore. All the rifled choike does is add a twist at the end, not the enitre length of the barrel. If you are going to get another barrel get a fully rifled deer barrel. This will greatly imporve your groups!

Really tough to improve an 870. If you are that dissatisfied with the factory sights...buy a Mossberg 500. Seriously, you guys who want to butcher an 870 barrel are nuts! Knock off really good factory sights, only to add back some plastic crap with hi-viz dots....gimme a break! Backing up: What is wrong with the 870 factory sights?....Can't see 'em??...Get a scope! Now...about the fully rifled barrel: Unless you hunt in a "shotgun only" area, where shots beyond 100 yds are common, you don't need it. Why pay big bucks for a rifled barrel, and then 3-4 times as much for ammo designed to shoot 200 yds., when you will never shoot beyond 100 yds??

If it ain't broke...don't fix it!

Thanks for the replys guys. Thats what I figured about the front sight, it must tap out, I just have to make sure it's the right way. I have three 870 Wingmasters, one with 28" vent rib with all the Rem chokes, one with cantilever rifled deer barrel with scope, and this one with the smoothbore with rifle sights. Yea, I love guns, and I love Remingtons. I don't use this one much anymore, But sitting here in the month of February thinking of all my stuff, I'm thinking I would use this gun on say a day when it's real crappy out and I don't want to get my other guns soaking wet or whatever, I might grab this one that would be easier to clean. But being 58 years old the eye sight not what it was, those TroGlows might be nice.

Edited by jim335

I sort of agree with Early, I have 2 ,870's one has the factory open sights & the other has a 1.75 - 5 x scope on it. Both are smooth bore & both have taken deer at 90 -110 yds just fine using 1oz. rem sluggers. The open sight is dead on at 75 Yds & the scope is 2" hi at 80 yds. I also have a Mossberg 20 ga. fully rifled with a scope which is not much better if at all & I hate spending the $$ for the ammo. I have spent about $60 to sight it in & I still am not happy with it.