laws for foothold for coyotes

cbyzerman

8 minutes ago, cbyzerman said:

How far do you have to be from road or house to set a foothold for coyote?

there is no minimum. There is a regulation that you can't set any trap on a road and bodygrips can not be set within 100' from a public trail unless in a WMA. Good practice should judge whether you do or not. releasing incidental catches can be a biotch and you don't want to negative perception if a resident or neighbors pet gets caught. Select trap size appropriate, applicable pan tension and pay mind to bait to avoid the incidentals. 

Edit:  having permission goes without saying. 

Edited by Culvercreek hunt club
  • Like 1

13 minutes ago, cbyzerman said:

How far do you have to be from road or house to set a foothold for coyote?

You are not allowed to set a trap within 100 feet of a house , school or church unless you have permission from the owner of the land where the trap is set.

• Like 1

On 1/7/2021 at 2:43 PM, Water Rat said:

You are not allowed to set a trap within 100 feet of a house , school or church unless you have permission from the owner of the land where the trap is set.

The way they wrote that....if you have permission on the land where you set the distance doesn't come into play any longer. For instance. two houses 50' apart. You have permission from one so you can set. You are within the 100' of the other but legal since you meet the regulation by having permissions from the landowner where you are set.  DO you read that the same way that I have? 

This is one of those times where what is legal probably is the right thing to do. 

The way I interpret it is that you can’t make a set if there’s any building within 100’ of it. I personally don’t like having a set made anywhere near houses , schools , churches etc. The farther away the better. Not to mention dispatching an animal with a gun when you’re only 100’ from a house. It’s always better to err on the side of caution IMO.

4 hours ago, Culvercreek hunt club said:

The way they wrote that....if you have permission on the land where you set the distance doesn't come into play any longer. For instance. two houses 50' apart. You have permission from one so you can set. You are within the 100' of the other but legal since you meet the regulation by having permissions from the landowner where you are set.  DO you read that the same way that I have? 

This is one of those times where what is legal probably is the right thing to do. 

I read it the same way ... so, as long as you have permission from the landowner to trap, then I can set the trap wherever I want on their land (assuming they haven't specified differently) and you'd still be in compliance with the regulation whether there are any other property owners or structures within 100 feet or not.

35 minutes ago, escpen said:

I read it the same way ... so, as long as you have permission from the landowner to trap, then I can set the trap wherever I want on their land (assuming they haven't specified differently) and you'd still be in compliance with the regulation whether there are any other property owners or structures within 100 feet or not.

That's why in my other post I said permission is key. There are some areas that it just makes sense to pass on setting becasue of what could go wrong.