Meat grinder rpm?

Enigma

Revising my meat grinder setup and I could use some info. I have a home built unit with a #32 grinder run off a belt from an electric motor. At present the grinder runs too fast. I'm working on a plan to reduce the rpm.

I've read that commercial units run +/- 80 rpm at the blade. Anyone know if this is true? What's the rpm of the blade on your home grinder? Ty.

Here is one that my great grandfather made in the 1920's.  The grinder is a #12 and the input shaft turns at about 120 rpm.   The gear reduction unit may have come from a model T Ford, or something else of that era.  I am afraid to look inside it, but it has never needed any service.

It was submerged in water in the basement of our old farmhouse, which burned in 1980.   The original motor was seized up after that.  It had been used for beef and pork for 50 some years. I replaced the motor with an old 1/3 hp  / 1750 rpm motor, that I found out in the barn, around 1985. 

I ground a few deer with it, but it would plug up frequently with the original knife and screen.  I suppose they might have lost thier temper in the heat from the fire.  I ordered new ones from Bass Pro Shops, and ground close to a hundred more deer since their installation, without issue.  It plugged once on the one I ground last year, so it might be time for another new knife and screen.

I added the switch on it last year, to improve safety and make adjustments a little easier (a small set screw on the drive shaft tends to loosen up a time or two during a big job).

20210124_120313.jpg

Edited by wolc123
  • Thanks 1