“New” old shotgun

I do not know much about the Crescent brand but two things caught my eye. First it is a sidelock which leads me to believe it is a decent quality gun and second it is a 410 which will mean it is a very rare chambering and possibly worth some serious dough compared to the fifty bucks you paid although as they say condition is everything.

I can see the stock is kind of rough but as long as there is no cracks (usually behind the sidelock plates) it can be spruced up and  be refinished and the checkering recut. The metal itself looks to be in decent shape although the bluing is pretty much gone. Probably not chambered for 3 inch shells either so stick with the 2 1/2 inchers.

As long as she locks up tight and no dents in the barrels it should be safe to touch off.

Al

Edited by airedale
  • Like 3

My Grandpa’s old barn gun is a Crescent Arms Peerless Model 12 gauge. I used to go peer into his gun cabinet through the glass door as a youngster admiring his beautiful old guns. This was one I never saw, and my grandmother handed it to long after his passing saying that it was always in the barn when they had their small farm. There is a bent over nail in place of a screw on the stock and the action doesn’t lock up real tight anymore. I did shoot it...once...in my younger, more daring years. I used the lightest load I could find. Upon pulling the trigger (with my eyes closed and it held down away from my face because I knew what I was doing was a bad idea but I was not one for self control) the action popped open. Now, it hangs here on the wall. It’s actually the reason I started the thread a while back about getting a new side by side. According to the interwebs, production date of this one is 1910.

Your .410 is super cool! I’d have jumped on it as well. I’d be willing to bet after having a gunsmith check it out, you’d be able to enjoy it safely! What model is it?

1654c59d6dc8f2b54cb224793fe73d59.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

• Like 3

Oh this gun is in pretty rough condition cosmetically... definitely not for a collector to spend $ on.  But for me it’ll be great.  Locks up nice and the barrels are in good shape.  There is a repaired crack in the stock (right where you’d expect it to be from being opened too aggressively). According to this poster, it looks like it’s a model 9.  Serial number shows it to be from 1925.  My only .410 is a snake charmer, so I already have lots of shells.  And this one should be a lot more fun. 

C89FC1AF-B40B-40AE-A0EA-486F6C053F95.jpeg

• Like 1

1 hour ago, johnplav said:

Oh this gun is in pretty rough condition cosmetically... definitely not for a collector to spend $ on.  But for me it’ll be great.  Locks up nice and the barrels are in good shape.  There is a repaired crack in the stock (right where you’d expect it to be from being opened too aggressively). According to this poster, it looks like it’s a model 9.  Serial number shows it to be from 1925.  My only .410 is a snake charmer, so I already have lots of shells.  And this one should be a lot more fun. 

C89FC1AF-B40B-40AE-A0EA-486F6C053F95.jpeg

$18 bucks i'm looking at a sxs12 blackpowder for $1300 right now.