Question on my electric

Bolt action

^^ agreed to both. I bought the plug in type of tester. I'm headed back to Lowe's today (luckily not too far from the house) to pick up either a multi meter or something like what @sbuff  suggested. I've been putting it off because I rarely ever tinker with electrical, but for the safe of just a few bucks it's worth grabbing one. I need to pick up a new gfi outlet anyway while I'm there, so I'll just grab both.

• Like 2

4 minutes ago, Bolt action said:

^^ agreed to both. I bought the plug in type of tester. I'm headed back to Lowe's today (luckily not too far from the house) to pick up either a multi meter or something like what @sbuff  suggested. I've been putting it off because I rarely ever tinker with electrical, but for the safe of just a few bucks it's worth grabbing one. I need to pick up a new gfi outlet anyway while I'm there, so I'll just grab both.

get the multi meter. huge help to track down other issues....auto and continuity 

Edited by Culvercreek hunt club
  • Like 1

5 minutes ago, Bolt action said:

Just my opinion, but I would go with the multimeter. The "stick" testers are good but are limited in their capabilities. 

• 2 weeks later...

Putting this one to rest. The electrician should be here in about an hour. 

I replaced the GFI, but that didn't solve the issue. Still no power to that outlet, and no power to the dishwasher, garbage disposal, or garage. I bought another tester and pulled the front off the panel box in the garage. I was trying to determine if there was current going into, or out of, the breaker. I wasn't able to get a confident answer though. I was prepared to dick around with it more, but the dishwasher backfilled and leaked all over the floor. Just what I need. So I called a plumber buddy who said that he's 98% sure that the plumbing issue ties back to an "air dam" and that it should resolve itself once I run the disposal. The lack of a dishwasher or a usable kitchen sink forced my hand though, and I had to call in a pro.

Here's the other tester I picked up:

https://www.lowes.com/pd/Kobalt-Electrical-Tester/5001424391

• Like 1