New Vegetable Garden Advice

Long time hunter, first time gardener. I’m doing some research to make a plan for the spring. We want a vegetable garden to feed our family of four. The kids are young (3 yo and 1yo) but they enjoy fruits and veggies just as much as we do. To be clear, I’ve never done a garden. We have plenty of space; our house sits on 12 acres. As far as equipment, I have a compact tractor (JD 2025r) but no attachments relevant to gardening. I started reading some threads about the topic and y’all have some awesome pictures of the end products, but I need a ‘how to guide’ to get started. For example, what are the best plants for our zone, where to buy seeds, how to take care of seedlings indoors, when to plant seedlings outside, how to prep soil outside, how plant seedlings, etc etc. I have so many questions, and I think the best thing to do is read a few guides or books about it. Any recommendations you have would be greatly appreciated. We live in Erie county. Thanks in advance!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I would get yourself a rototiller for the tractor.  Put the garden fairly close to your house (so you can reach it with a hose for watering) in an area with good southern sun exposure.

I have had good luck with seeds and plants from Niagara County Produce on Transit, near Millersport.   They also have fertilizer.

Sounds like your kids are a bit young for weeding, etc, but should provide a good labor source in the coming years, and it is never too early to get them out there and interested in it, as long as you keep it "fun".

Edited by wolc123
  • Like 1

Locate in full sun area,depending on size, tiller for tractor or a good rear tine tiller my preference for keeping rows clear of weeds.If you want to keep weeds to a bare minumum black fabric to cover whole garden area.

Other option would be raised bed gardening,easy to maintain and everything is very accessible no matter conditions.Get yourself some good compost-manure to get your plants growing .

• Like 1

Area should be Full sun.

You can use a tractor or you can do it all with your bare hands. A rototiller would be best if you plan to use your tractor. Start your seeds in doors at the end of March into April. Zucchini, Squash, Tomatoes, peppers etc all will grow here. Your worst part is weed control.  Especially if you dont have or want to spend all your time weeding. Dont use black plastic!! very unhealthy practice. 

Either plant your plants far enough apart and in straight rows both directions,  where you can till between or mow the weeds down.

OR you can plant a Cereal Rye or Winter Wheat in your Garden this fall at 50#/acre. When this gets almost mature (end of MAy, When your plants will go in the Dirt) you roll this wheat/rye down and kill it. this will be your new weed barrier. and plant your plants how youd like. This natural weed barrier works wonders! I have pics to prove it. 

Another good option is Doing Raised boxed in garden beds.  

Rotate your crops around every year to let them aid your soils. 

• Like 1