What to plant in the next week or so?

Picked up a 6' 3pt disc. I want to plant something very soon, but really not sure what would work best for this late planting? I know the area needs to be sprayed first. When do I lime or fertilize? Before or after I disk? 

Still time to plant brassicas in a mix, cereal grains, annual clovers. Those would be my choices.  I would spray and disk once, then lime and fertilize the second or third (final) time that I disked.  

Lots of options for planting ( if it isn't too dang wet) for this fall.  It depends on what there is for food around you and what your longer term goals are.  Is this on land you own?

• Like 2

1 hour ago, stubborn1VT said:

Still time to plant brassicas in a mix, cereal grains, annual clovers. Those would be my choices.  I would spray and disk once, then lime and fertilize the second or third (final) time that I disked.  

Lots of options for planting ( if it isn't too dang wet) for this fall.  It depends on what there is for food around you and what your longer term goals are.  Is this on land you own?

Not my land, but landowner is fine with me doing food plots. Area drains well. It's a hay field that a local farmer bails twice a yr. Approximately a 18a field. I'm probably looking to do about 1.5a.

13 minutes ago, mowin said:

Not my land, but landowner is fine with me doing food plots. Area drains well. It's a hay field that a local farmer bails twice a yr. Approximately a 18a field. I'm probably looking to do about 1.5a.

Just me, but I'd split the plot in half.  Plant half in a brassica mix, the other half in clover with a nurse crop like oats or winter wheat.  If you and the landowner are good with spraying it, I wouldn't even bother mowing it short.  I'd spray, add a little lime and broadcast the seed, roll it and done.  A month later I would add some urea to the brassicas and maybe some triple 15 to the clover/wheat.  

Something like 4-5 lbs of a brassica mix, 6-7 lbs of clover and 30ish lbs of oats or wheat or a mix of the two.

• Like 1

14 minutes ago, stubborn1VT said:

Or just do the whole thing with 6-7lbs of brassicas and call it good.  Then go back in the late winter/spring and frost seed it with clover for next year.  

Can't thank you enough for the info.  Is there a specific seed blend you would use, or mix your own?

• Like 1

I mix my own, but I had good luck with WI Wintergreens.  Deer Creek seed makes a decent brassica blend.  Lots of people love Big and Beasty.  My only caution would be that all deer don't take to brassicas right away.  That's one reason I suggested doing half and half.  I would hate for you to do the work and have the deer ignore it.  

A blend like Autumn Quick Plot might work.  That has winter wheat, winter peas and brassicas.  That might be a safer bet.  It is made by Frigid Forage.

Lots of options.  Good luck with it.  I imagine I can answer any other question you have.  I have quite a few years of farming experience.  Last year was the first year that I had a fair sized plot and it made a big difference.  

• Like 1

18 minutes ago, stubborn1VT said:

I mix my own, but I had good luck with WI Wintergreens.  Deer Creek seed makes a decent brassica blend.  Lots of people love Big and Beasty.  My only caution would be that all deer don't take to brassicas right away.  That's one reason I suggested doing half and half.  I would hate for you to do the work and have the deer ignore it.  

A blend like Autumn Quick Plot might work.  That has winter wheat, winter peas and brassicas.  That might be a safer bet.  It is made by Frigid Forage.

Lots of options.  Good luck with it.  I imagine I can answer any other question you have.  I have quite a few years of farming experience.  Last year was the first year that I had a fair sized plot and it made a big difference.  

I'll definitely be asking for guidance.  

ok autum quick plot by frigid forage might be option, also WI oats is a good choice, ur a getting late for a straight brassica mix u want 45- 60 days before 1st frost with brassica, rye GRAIN is also option seed to soil contact is very important, if it was a hay field and starting this late i would skip spraying just tear the ground up best you can,,,, fertilizer and lime is guessing at this point but i would hit with fertilizer 200 to 400 lb acre of some 15-15-15, and do soil sample next spring and go from there... rye should put in labor day same with oat ,,,,brassicas now like yesterday

I'm not worried about getting 45 frost free days at this point, but a blend with some cereal grains in it is probably a safer bet in general. 

I don't use Glyph, but if I did I would spray and use the existing hay as a seed bed and mulch.  A couple hundred pounds of triple 15 is a good call. pH is actually even more important because the plants can't use the fertilizer if it is too far out of whack.  Lots of ways to skin a cat.