Walleye fishing rigs

Versatile_Hunter

Barring an unexpected border closure shortly before my departure, I’ll be driving up to Canada for a hunt. My outfitter is on a large lake so naturally I’ll be taking my fishing gear to try my luck at pike and walleye. I’ve mostly fished saltwater so I’d be interested to see what folks use to target these species. It will be my first time targeting walleye so I’m a blank slate on that one. I’ve got a couple of weeks  to go so I can still stock up on walleye essentials. I believe there’s a ban on the use of live or dead baitfish in this region. 

• Like 1

Would start with a couple 1/8 and 1/4 oz jig heads (i would get a couple of whistler type) with a package of 3 + 4" twister tails, a couple of black and purple hair jigs also in 1/8 and 1/4 oz, a couple of stickbaits like a rapala x rap, husky jerks or challenger minnows 3-1/2 in - 4-1/2 in for walleye casting.   For northerns I would also use the stickbaits (esp the 4 1/2 inch) but also throw in a couple of inline spinners in the 3/4 oz size such as mepps or vibrax, a couple of daredevils in 3/4 oz. and light wire leaders.  I would use the 6" they usually are enough and youll get more stirkes.  

That would about cover the basics for you to get started.   

oh and a package of something of a swim bait - can get them in packs all hooked up and ready to go, 3,4 5" in a minnow pattern and fish them slow, with a quick twitch here and there to trigger strikes.

NPS Fishing - Blue Fox Vibrax Musky BuckWildeye Live Perchimage.png.422ff8d7c0a046a260ff9b6e79bdfbe7.png

Edited by Robhuntandfish
  • Like 1

If the lake is stained with tannin and looks like ice tea, be sure you have lots of fluorescent colors, the brighter the better. And white too.  One lake I fished up there, the best lure was a simple white paddle tail on a lead jig.  Caught tons of walleye and pike, two of which were 15 and 18 pounds.

• Like 2