Upstate Fly Fishing

rob1114

I live up here in Jefferson county now. And this past weekend I took a trip down to the west branch of the delaware for some fly fishing. Well it was a great trip a rejuvenated my love for trout fishing with dry flies.

I know I have the Salmon River and such near here which are awesome fisheries (If you can stand the crowds) but don't really get much of a bug hatch. I am curious, are they any streams or rivers in vicinity of Northern NY that get some decent hatches and can be productively fished with dry flies. I imagine there should be some in the ADK, just hoping to find some on the western side of the ADK. Any help would be greatly appreciated. Thanks

-Rob

rob1114,

I don't fly fish ,but I do live only (20) miles from the West Branch Delaware and I know that you will have a hard time finding any fly water as good as the Delaware. I have been going every day for the last week and a half and have been fishing the artificial only most of the time.and have been having some luck. The fishing has been tough because of the low flow and clear water. I have never seen the water so low and clear in over (30) years and I have been fishing it for (45) forty five years. What I am getting at is that while there I could see (20) twenty inch plus trout coming up for flies and that is going to be hard to beat. I wish you good luck and tight lines.

Look at teh entire length of the West Canada Creek. It is probably the most underrated trout water in NY. If it dumped into Ontario there would not be a better salmon or trout stream.I am not sure what their stocking program is now but I grew up fishing from Trenton Falls down to the Mohawk River in Herkimer. It has every type of trout water you would like to fish. Miles and miles of gravel. One word of caution though. The level is controled by dams and they do let water out. use care and if you are up by trenton falls they used to have a siren......and it did come up and come up fast. Even down towards Herkimer the level can jump pretty fast. Use care if wading to an exposed gravel island....it might not be there in a little while

Access to much of it is excellent and there is plenty of fish and room

Edited by Culvercreek hunt club
  • Like 1

oswegatchie is about as far west as we go, cant go wrong with EHC, PMD, white millers, 10-14 range, stimulators always work on the lakes and ponds, much fuss is made about the hex hatch but in truth on waters like the saranac chain lakes the hex come off all year long and attract fish at all times from memorial day through columbus day.

Edited by Robt Weber

• 5 years later...

I'd second the West Canada and there are many smaller tribs in your area that certainly deserve exploration and are within a very short walk to be away from the Salmon River crowds.

Right about this time the tribs on Ontario are full of "drop back" steelhead that are hungry and eagerly take numerous fly patterns. The browns are staged off shore and may be pursued as well...

Use caution in the West Canada as it is a tailwater and releases can be significant. If you like beautiful country and a little travel the Ausable around Lake Placid is a great free stone water for flies and most normally not crowded.

Enjoy.....

Edited by Salmon_Run
added text
  • Like 2