anyone hunt PA?

JGaruti3

I have a house up in the Poconos - Monroe County.  Do the majority of my hunting there but since I am a NY resident I hunt both places.

Just curious if anyone hunts up in the Poconos?  Pretty good game there...turkey are highly abundant where I am.  They love those beechnuts!  Whitetail are around in good numbers...and of course there are plenty of black bear living in the swamps.

Well I have a house in a gated community and there used to be about 180 deer per acre.  But for the past ten years they have been culling the herd during winter because they were scared the deer would eat everything in the browse line...and in turn there would be no trees in fifty years.  I think its b.s....now there are only 20 deer per acre. 

But the turkey are everywhere now...same with the bear.

180 deer per acre??  20 deer per acre??  Are you sure you don't mean per square mile?

I could've bought my place in Pa for hunting, but you can't hunt on Sunday.  I have had enough of that stupidity in NJ, so I bought my weekend retreat in NY!

I'm a PA resident, live in Philly suburbs. I deer hunt practically in my backyard, the area is polluted with them...but getting permisssion is another story. The season around here starts mid-September until the end of January.

I agree, a lot of turkey in the Poconos these days. I don't deer hunt in the Poconos, way too crowded on public land.

I bought land in western NY a few years ago, just because I wanted a place to hunt on Sundays & for rifle hunting. It's turning out to be a good move, with the whole nat gas thing.... ;)

• 2 weeks later...

Good news...just got some permission to hunt on some farms a little south of the Poconos in wind gap, pa.  It is about 30 minutes from me so I am pretty excited!  I am going to be taking the farmer turkey hunting since there are an abundance of turkey where I have my house.  He said where he lives there are no turkey but an abundance of deer so it looks like this will be a good deal for me and my new hunting friend!  I will be hunting deer in the Poconos this Saturday but the following weekend I will be down in Wind Gap!