Saw a buck dogging a doe this morning...

Pygmy

I went up to the property this morning and there were 12 -15 deer in a neighbor's field....One was  a buck still  holding his antlers, and he was dogging a doe around...I didn't put glass on him, but he was a big bodied deer and his antlers were clearly visible to my old naked eyes at 300 + yards....

• Like 5

1 hour ago, Pygmy said:

I went up to the property this morning and there were 12 -15 deer in a neighbor's field....One was  a buck still  holding his antlers, and he was dogging a doe around...I didn't put glass on him, but he was a big bodied deer and his antlers were clearly visible to my old naked eyes at 300 + yards....

That would put birth around September 17th. Let’s hope he was only feeling his oats. 

1 hour ago, Robhuntandfish said:

That's cool. Must be something in the water around there!

Amazing how late it is to see that type of behavior in a buck.

Sent from my motorola edge 5G UW (2021) using Tapatalk

You may be right, Rob....I had a big glass of water before bed the other night and dreamed about Wendy Nichols when she was 19....

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

Some does don't take and will continue to go into estrus until they are successfully bred. I read an article about sterilization in white tail does. In one situation it allowed does to come into estrus but not be bred because of partial hysterectomy. Because of this phenomenon numerous bucks died from poor health after rutting for extra months. It is very possible to have a doe in heat still especially in a high deer density situation.