Electrical work

wolc123

3 hours ago, fasteddie said:

If I attempted to do what Wolk and nccountry were doing , I would probably make my wife a Widow ! 

The older I get, the less I like heights.  I probably should get up on an extension ladder with a chainsaw and cut out the diagonal braces on the side walls, before I try yanking that last old barn down, but that part scares me a little.   I probably will do that though, since I now have a close outlet to plug my electric chainsaw in, thanks to the just-completed pole barn wiring project. 

I used my electric chainsaw for that job on the other one, because it is a lot quieter than my gas saws.  I thought I might hear some “warning” cracks and be able to get down fast and out of the way before the whole thing fell down on me.  

Speaking of widowmakers, watching my wife’s video of me taking down the old concrete silo was pretty comical.   I had knocked out most of the bottom course of blocks with a sledge.  There were only a few left, on the barn side, where I was standing.

The 30 ish ft tall, 12 ft diameter concrete silo was leaning slightly the way I wanted it to fall (opposite the barn).  When I pounded out the last block, the remaining few on my side buckled, and some flew my way.   You can hear her yell “oh God”, as I turned and ran.   

Thankfully,  I was fast enough and none of those flying blocks struck me (they must weigh about 50 pounds each).  If I had to do it again, and ammo was cheap like it used to be, I would leave the last few blocks and shoot them out from a safe distance.  

• Like 1

3 hours ago, wolc123 said:

The older I get, the less I like heights.  I probably should get up on an extension ladder with a chainsaw and cut out the diagonal braces on the side walls, before I try yanking that last old barn down, but that part scares me a little.   I probably will do that though, since I now have a close outlet to plug my electric chainsaw in, thanks to the just-completed pole barn wiring project. 

I used my electric chainsaw for that job on the other one, because it is a lot quieter than my gas saws.  I thought I might hear some “warning” cracks and be able to get down fast and out of the way before the whole thing fell down on me.  

Speaking of widowmakers, watching my wife’s video of me taking down the old concrete silo was pretty comical.   I had knocked out most of the bottom course of blocks with a sledge.  There were only a few left, on the barn side, where I was standing.

The 30 ish ft tall, 12 ft diameter concrete silo was leaning slightly the way I wanted it to fall (opposite the barn).  When I pounded out the last block, the remaining few on my side buckled, and some flew my way.   You can hear her yell “oh God”, as I turned and ran.   

Thankfully,  I was fast enough and none of those flying blocks struck me (they must weigh about 50 pounds each).  If I had to do it again, and ammo was cheap like it used to be, I would leave the last few blocks and shoot them out from a safe distance.  

Listen to that little voice that is telling you not to get on the ladder with a chainsaw. That is asking for trouble and always a bad idea. If you have a Sawzall use that instead or come up with a different plan.

• Like 1

32 minutes ago, BowmanMike said:

Listen to that little voice that is telling you not to get on the ladder with a chainsaw. That is asking for trouble and always a bad idea. If you have a Sawzall use that instead or come up with a different plan.

I guess it won’t hurt to try yanking it down first, with the diagonal braces still on, but I don’t see how a sawzall would be any safer than a small (14”), sharp electric chainsaw up on a ladder. If you can tell me why a sawzall would be safer, I’ll order that $59 Ryobi recip saw from Amazon now, rather than waiting for Christmas, as I had intended.  

I guess the lack of a cord would be a reason, but the tool weight is probably heavier than my small chainsaw, and the shorter blade would take longer to cut thru the braces (about 6” square).

13B324B0-6954-45A2-8849-6A44113BFAA8.thumb.jpeg.aa0015d437e5c3942de548aa587d328b.jpeg

21 minutes ago, wolc123 said:

I guess it won’t hurt to try yanking it down first, with the diagonal braces still on, but I don’t see how a sawzall would be any safer than a small (14”), sharp electric chainsaw up on a ladder. If you can tell me why a sawzall would be safer, I’ll order that $59 Ryobi recip saw from Amazon now, rather than waiting for Christmas, as I had intended.  

I guess the lack of a cord would be a reason, but the tool weight is probably heavier than my small chainsaw, and the shorter blade would take longer to cut thru the braces (about 6” square).

13B324B0-6954-45A2-8849-6A44113BFAA8.thumb.jpeg.aa0015d437e5c3942de548aa587d328b.jpeg

It is much harder to cut your arm or leg off with a Sawzall when you slip than it would be with a chainsaw. You also have more control. Borrow one from a friend,I am sure someone you know has one. 

Or hook a rope to the braces and yank them down.

Or do what you like as it is your life on the line. 

17 minutes ago, BowmanMike said:

It is much harder to cut your arm or leg off with a Sawzall when you slip than it would be with a chainsaw. You also have more control. Borrow one from a friend,I am sure someone you know has one. 

Or hook a rope to the braces and yank them down.

Or do what you like as it is your life on the line. 

Ok, just ordered the Ryobi recip saw, $ 62 and it will be here Sunday.  

19 minutes ago, The_Real_TCIII said:

I have a sawzall you can have

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Now you tell me ?  There’s one coming from Amazon tomorrow.  

Hopefully, this new “One plus” Ryobi cordless will be better the cheap corded one, that I got from Harbor Freight about 20 years ago.  

I have had very good service from a half inch corded hammer drill from there.  So good in fact, that I bought another (I think it was $29) for my dad.  Their $19 corded sawzall only lasted for a few cuts.  Is that the one you have ?  At least I have plenty of blades leftover from when I had that.  

Now you tell me ?  There’s one coming from Amazon tomorrow.  

Hopefully, this new “One plus” Ryobi cordless will be better the cheap corded one, that I got from Harbor Freight about 20 years ago.  

I have had very good service from a half inch corded hammer drill from there.  So good in fact, that I bought another (I think it was $29) for my dad.  Their $19 corded sawzall only lasted for a few cuts.  Is that the one you have ?  At least I have plenty of blades leftover from when I had that.  

Well youre welcome to it if you want to cancel. It is corded though

25 minutes ago, The_Real_TCIII said:

Well youre welcome to it if you want to cancel. It is corded though

Thanks for the offer, but I think I will give the new cordless one a try.  Cords are a pain up on ladders. It is supposed to get here tomorrow.  I am not going to cut out those diagonal braces, until I have the rest of the siding stripped off, and that probably won’t be till the end of this month.  

I saw a big coyote in the field out back this morning. He was quite skittish, and must not have realized that the season ended a few days ago.  As soon as I stopped and looked at him, he bolted away lightning fast.  

There seems to be a lot more of them around, here on the NW corner of 9F, than there is over on the SE corner at my parents place.  They have been seeing turkeys and foxes over there, while I haven’t seen any of either of those here in over a year.     

• Like 1