Hydrofracking in the Southern Tier

Dave

Our daughter is dealing with all this down in the Corning area and with trying to buy a house...so far nothing good about any of it and there isn't even drilling going on....then add to that their neighbor in the apt next door works for the gas companies doing these contracts and informed them of many many things...he has recently moved on...back to PA I believe...but if it weren't for loop holes in these contracts...there'd be nothing holding the words on paper....where are the land owners rights when they can go into a group of properties and if the majority sign and you don't ...they can extract the gas from under you ...you just don't get the signing bonus but are payed for the gas and have no choice in the matter...What in the world are land owners in NYS paying taxes for?...When the state is allowing big business to take away any protection of our lands that we at least percieved to have had...

When looking to buy in Colorado ...we found that they buy and sell water rights out there like land...big money....We thought that crazy....Well we recently found we really have no water rights here in NYS...that being some one can come in and destroy your well water for NYS does not have any organization that is in place to protect private wells from contamination...the best you can do is sue after the fact...your underground water supply can get diverted and too bad...I say this Because we are dealing with the possibility of a well contamination from run off on a farm field that will be injected with cow manure...and the entire 50 acres drains directly to our well....there is not a state agency we have not contacted...they all told us the same thing...private well owners are on there own...the best we can and have done is spend hundreds in preempted strikes...full water analysis...and let me tell you that gets expensive ....to show we have nothing in our water. This is so we can go after them later after the fact...which by then ...too freaking late....thanks NY

Grow is right. Best protection is getting your water tested before any drilling goes on in your area. The whole landscape is going to change in more ways than one. Price for land is going up, most properties are selling without mineral rights. You have to negotiate for them. Some are getting 500-1000 per acre for the rights. (depends on the area)

I don't like it one bit but I will not deny a landowner selling his sole to the gas landman for more money he has ever had.

• 2 weeks later...

Was just down wading around the suckyhanna river this weekend behind Home Depot in Johnson city. Water was a black color, full of soap suds, and smelled like raw sewage. And low and behold there wasnt one protester down there protesting the quality of the water. huh. So when you people from below vestal take a shower tonight just think about all the filth you just had in your mouth. Are you sure your local water treatment plant used the correct amount of chemicals to clean that nasty water?