Interesting Youth Season Spot on News

phade

Not to stir the pot at all just a question...out of all these great looking statistics...does anyone have the Census #'s on how many youth were coming into hunting age already in hunting families that would have gotten a license any ways...compared to youth that were coming to legal age in other years previous...I find it interesting that those years were specifically mentioned as compared to say any others...I'd like to see #'s on those that were "Mentored" and got licenses out of non hunting families

You just did make shit up!

Having my kids afield with me any day is not a ruined day in fact its just the opposite. For you to even think along those lines is beyond rediculous. Your last part about us HUMPS makes zero sense as well. You see we are not complaining about a youth hunt we are defending it and in full support. We hear DOC loud and clear and everything he is saying is not going over our heads. Its a system that has and is failing, a system that every hunter in NY has had the opportunity to do for longer than I have been alive, it doesnt work hasnt worked and obvioulsy will continue down that same path. See the thing is DOC makes some very valid points and points that I sure wish was actually happening, but they are not. So stand up and fight against a youth hunt you guys are so against during a time that you have never had the chance in STier to even hunt in but yet cant fathom giving 3 days of it to a kid.

Another guy who clearly wants to get his kids out of his hair and does not want to be bothered by them on opening day.

And if you are defending the youth hunt and it is all about the youth then why did the dec get such strong backlash when they wanted to make the youth hunt the 2 days before reg season? Not one person has answered that yet............. And please dont tell me because it might be cold on those days because we are still in hysterics about that one..........

I suppose that really is the point NYBH...now youth hunt aside....all these survey...and statistic numbers are only as good as the information plugged into them...which is really never enough information in regards to these situations...just too many variables

If their intentions were pure, the special youth season would be the weekend before opening day. Two full days of unpressured deer in the peak of the rut in fall like conditions. Not summer like conditions with bugs, heat, green leaves on the trees, and the possibility of rotten meat if not wisked away to the butcher asap. Also makes sense to keep special gun seasons in gun season for obvious safety reasons.

• Like 1

I guess some of you will just never be satisfied no matter what facts are given. You can lead a horse to water....

That's a pretty general statement...All I'm saying is knowing the census data...kids coming to hunting age ...before the youth implement..to the year of on to and through the years given for your study numbers would give a clearer picture as to whether those census #'s had an effect on the increase in youth participation

BTW...you can not call them FACTS unless all variables are considered

Really there could have been a much larger number of 12-14 year olds during that time then before or after...that's just a natural flow of population numbers

Edited by growalot

You cant call a 100,000 increase in one year a fact? Come on grow, we get it, some of you just refuse to look at it in any way other than what you have decided on.

IMO, if someone is that closed off to taking an open minded look at the information presented, and sucessful history of youth seasons in 30 states, or just slough it off as bad info, its due to one or two of a few reasons. Resistance to change, short sightedness, or hunter greed.

If their intentions were pure, the special youth season would be the weekend before opening day. Two full days of unpressured deer in the peak of the rut in fall like conditions. Not summer like conditions with bugs, heat, green leaves on the trees, and the possibility of rotten meat if not wisked away to the butcher asap. Also makes sense to keep special gun seasons in gun season for obvious safety reasons.

The rut is a time when deer are not as patternable.

I like the new pure intentions bit though, as least youre more creative than other nay sayers lol.

Your kidding right? You're trying to sell Oct 6th as a better all day opportunity at deer than say Nov.18th.

Not all have a food plot or field edge to hunt. Most will actually have to head into the woods and visibility will be quite low from the ground. Deer move all day in mid November. Those deer so easily patterned are visible 30 minutes before and after dark if you have a bait pile, I mean food plot to hunt over.

Edited by Chevy

OK so you continue to choose not to take into consideration the over all total in crease of youth in that age group in those.... what twenty four states?.... during that time.....as being a factor in the increase in youth participation....You can not have an increase in participation for that age group if there aren't teens in that age group during the collection of data...

Now if you were to look at participation of youth in such a program when the numbers of youth during those particular years where down population wide ....the youth participation #'s would also be low

Either I'm not explain clearly or you deem not to want to see it

Having said that...I admittedly don't have the census #'s at had to make the one way or another...but I'm not going to make blind judgements with out ALL the information needed...nor should others...fine example the DEC's herd numbers estimates

Edited by growalot

Oh now its only good with a bait pile? How about you call it what it really is about and say food source.

For example, for the last hour and a half of daylight right now, I can tell you right where the deer are, in the bean and hay fields. Just find the travel routes to the food and set up on them. Its not a guaranteed thing, but you have a better chance of knowing when and where they will be rather than hoping they run by on their mission to get a piece of tail. During the rut, they are not calm, and they are not as patternable, but you might see the big, shy deer at any time of the day.

If I am out after hunting excitement with the possibility at a big buck, im hunting the rut. If I am just looking to fill the freezer, or get alot of sightings, I hunt feeding patterns. If I really want a good crack at a big buck, Im hunting late season feeding patterns. This is all based on my experience.

Btw, I never said Oct 6 would be a better chance at all day activity, I said its a better chace at deer that are more easilly patterned. Dont put words in my mouth.

Grow, if you want to compare that stuff, go get the census data for those states. Its all public domain and easilly accessable. I provided the numbers showing the increase, if you still doubt them, anty up and prove them wrong.

I see the point you are trying to make, I just dont think its relevant. Like I said, make me a believer.

Another guy who clearly wants to get his kids out of his hair and does not want to be bothered by them on opening day.

Sorry there oh great wise one, but like I already said Clearly you make shit up! I have had one of my kids with me opening day for a very long time, as well as a few others in camp. You see to some of us we actually love our kids and take great enjoyment of sharing our passions with them. Opening day without them isnt opening day at all in my eyes. Now just go away because you have nothing worth even mentioning in this thread.

• Like 2

Some very interesting points brought up, all good ones. Very strong arguements. Makes me wonder how 1000 hunters can make the determination for the whole hunting community. They lean towards the majority, but 1000 hunters at 20 meetings ,come on. Out of all of the 100s of thousand of hunting licenses sold in NY, Then they do a scientific survey, this decides the fate of the 5 year deer plan, OMG. Oh and the 30 day comment period, someone reads them and tosses in the garbage.

Which is quite a sad affair on everyones part. Out of said 100's of thousand hunters only 1000 showed up to the public meetings is truly sad. What is even worse is some get all pissed off over the 5 year plan for exapmle but never voiced there opinions to them about it. If any of you have attended the meetings they get side tracked with hunters complaining about different topics that are not at hand. Almost everyone I have attended has a debate amongst hunters about hunting Fort Drum. I am obviously going to take a guess here but I am betting out of those 1000 hunters that showed up alot of those were not even there for the 5 year plan nor cared about it. Atleast that is the way I interpreted it when I was there. The other thing is who actually gets these surveys? I didnt I know that. It not a great system I will agree there. But its also our responsibility to voice our opinions on these matters so things are not based of the minorities of hunters feelings. I like the idea of mandating taking a survey when you purchase your license. Simple and hits every hunter. Lets face it if 10% are voicing there opinion then either 90% are to lazy to get involved or just dont care till after the fact.

Edited by wdswtr

Ist off guys I dont think there will be that many people in the woods if there is a special season. How many hunters have 14 and 15 yr olds that have licenses? I think it is like 1 percent of the hunting population. I honestly think there will be more poachers that weekend than kids in the woods. I really think it should be the 2 days before reg season because that would really get the kids pumped. If that does not get them pumped than nothing will. As for calling guys trolls and telling people there stupid, come on guys really. I watched 2 guys almost get into a fistfight over this BS two weeks ago at my gunclub.

• Like 1

Ist off guys I dont think there will be that many people in the woods if there is a special season. How many hunters have 14 and 15 yr olds that have licenses? I think it is like 1 percent of the hunting population. I honestly think there will be more poachers that weekend than kids in the woods. I really think it should be the 2 days before reg season because that would really get the kids pumped. If that does not get them pumped than nothing will. As for calling guys trolls and telling people there stupid, come on guys really. I watched 2 guys almost get into a fistfight over this BS two weeks ago at my gunclub.

very true. I deal with alot of poachers and trespassers and really don't want to deal with guns during archery season. Yes, some of these "adult supervision" will even trespass with their special youth hunters. As for the name calling, true colors always come out once their alterior motive is exposed.

True colors? Alterior motive? Please. The guy has said nothing constructive to add to the conversation. All he has done has been a crap stirrer. I called him for what he is. Cry me a river.

The only motive those of us that support the youth hunt have is to get more kids in the field, and in turn, try to turn our recruitment problems around.

My daughter goes out with me any time she wants, be it opening day or the last day or any day in between. Ive also taken other youths out hunting, same deal. Which day of the season doesnt matter to me as long as they want to go.