Need some advice!

dirt_a_KISS

This past turkey season, near the end I have discovered a very well beaten down deer trail. While sitting in by a tree off the path during turkey season, i've seen about 5 deer per day(5 a day). This past weekend i went back onto the trail and seen activety(footprints only). Now here where the I would like some advice, i recently read an article about deer and deer trails on the internet. It said that deer might not use that trail during the hunting season in october because they tend to change up their travel routes depending on the season. Any advice if I should stick to that trail or find another trail.

You need to determine if there is a logical reason for deer to be there, and will there be in the time frame that hunting season is open. Is there a food source? Is there cover? Is it an area in between these two types of area. Can you access it without the wind blowing your scent all through the area you would expect the deer to be?

Can you throw a trail camera up there and leave it alone for two to three weeks? It could be a great spot or it may not be. You need to give consideration to these things to determine whether it is or not.

If you saw 5 deer in the a.m. (turkey hunting) each time, then it's likely a spot where deer are heading back to bed after feeding. Take a look at the likely travel routes to find their bed and also what food source they were hitting on. Say, if it's a green field that'll still have them coming in come fall, then you likely have a spot to consider hunting somewhere along that trail.

Ideally, closer to the bed is better for success, but it is a fine line of boom or bust.

They would change there patterns only if the cover or food scource changes with the season, which they often do.. I would keep an eye on it, and mayb e take a spin through the woods in mid September to see if they are still using it, or if they are perdering different routes.. I dont use trail cams, but this is where they do their magic.. Even if they switch routes, if they are in the area, they likely wont be too far away

For "NYbuck50" i will more than likely coming there in september to do some small game and possibly pheasant but i think pheasant is in october actually. For the foor source, there is corn fields that are in the locatin a good 100yards. But possibly it might connect to an cornfield. the reason being i used possibly is because last year their was a cornfields but this year there isnt. and it cuts throw an overgrown field and 20 yards on both sides their are pine trees if that helps at all.

Until I hunted out west in 2000 I always thought they were deer trails but what I learned was they really are game trails... hence turkey, deer, fox, coyotes, etc. tend use many of the same trails. Reason you see all kinds of animals on the game cams.

For "NYbuck50" i will more than likely coming there in september to do some small game and possibly pheasant but i think pheasant is in october actually. For the foor source, there is corn fields that are in the locatin a good 100yards. But possibly it might connect to an cornfield. the reason being i used possibly is because last year their was a cornfields but this year there isnt. and it cuts throw an overgrown field and 20 yards on both sides their are pine trees if that helps at all.

Pheasant hunting where you'll be bow hunting? Not exactly a great pair.

I've know several hunters in KS where they despise opening phesant day...moves the bucks that day but screws up the action after that.

Let me ask you guys this What is the food sources deer will be eating in the Fall and Winter months. Because i don't beleive that the corn stays up for that long in october if im correct. And about the pheasant thing i don't think i will be doing both, hunting deer and pheasant at the same time.