Bill to raise hunting age to 18

I saw this on another site, don't know if anyone else picked up on this or if this is old news:

A new bill introduced in New York would undo the recent positive steps taken by the state legislature to reduce age restrictions for hunters in the state.

Senate Bill 3598, sponsored by Senator Liz Krueger (D- New York City), would raise the hunting age across the board.

Specifically, the bill increases the minimum age for obtaining a hunting license from 16 to 18 years of age while requiring anyone under the age of 20 to be accompanied by a parent, guardian or relative. Additionally the bill raises the junior hunting license range to 14-16 years old from the current 12-14 years old while also increasing the age of the mentor accompanying a junior hunter from 21 to 23. The bill also increases the junior archery license age bracket limit from 14-16 to 16-18 years old.

The bill, which was referred to the Senate Environmental Conservation Committee, would reverse last year’s legislation lowering the youth hunting restrictions, which was based upon the Families Afield initiative.

We should immediately contact their state legislators and tell them to oppose SB 3598.

It's all a plan, they know that if kids aren't started young, the odds of them taking up our sport plummet.. If they reduce hunter recruitment, they reduce gun ownership, and opposition to gun control.

Edited by Skillet

why that doesn't make any sense...if the bill requires the legal age to get a license be 18yrs old...with a mentor until 20 then there would be no need to even address a junior hunting license...such a bill would void junior licenses wouldn't it?

Specifically, the bill increases the minimum age for obtaining a hunting license from 16 to 18 years of age while requiring anyone under the age of 20 to be accompanied by a parent, guardian or relative.

why that doesn't make any sense...if the bill requires the legal age to get a license be 18yrs old...with a mentor until 20 then there would be no need to even address a junior hunting license...such a bill would void junior licenses wouldn't it?

Dont even try to figure that lady out Grow she has no clue what the heck she is talking about let alone anything to do with hunting.

Its old and failed in 2009. Just another anti-turd that got flushed like most of them do.

Thats good to hear, it's scary to think they would rather have youth play video games then be outside and able to hunt. I'm young as it is and have seen some very serious changes in the world for the worse in the last ten years. I don't even know many people my age that like to hunt or even have the ambition to do so.

I took my bow course so i'm able to hunt bow and I was talking to the main instructor he was telling me he has seen a huge decline in hunting class attendance and the class size has decreased. But only time will tell.