Broadhead Tuning

Doewhacker

I have seen an awefull lot of threads and comments on broadhead selection and one of the reoccuring theme's is that fixed, and sometimes mechanical broadheads do not fly the same as field points. It can be a hair pulling frustrating time of the year for us bowhunters but it doesn't need to be. Provided you are shooting properly spinned arrows it can be simple.

Even if you have a decent tune on your bow you may still experience this issue and here is how to fix it. Shoot a mix of Broad head and field point tipped arrows, note where the groups are and where they differ. Consitancy is important in this phase, you have to do your job of shooting well to make it count. As an example, I have field points hitting and grouping great but my BH's are grouping low and right. To fix this I will move my rest in the direction I want the arrow to go right or left and the opposite for up and down. In my example I will move the rest to the left about 1/16 and try again, sometimes little adjustments help a lot so don't go crazy with movements of the rest. You may also see the up and down direction corrected once you are on so work on one direction at a time. Keep at it untill your broad heads and field points are grouping the same, once they hit and group in the same spot adjust sights accoudingly and presto, you have a tuned bow ready to go!

You may also have great groups at 20 and less so at 30 and beyond, broadhead tuning will fix this too. In the end you may notice your field points grouping better aswell.

Another thing I do is mark the rest where I can with a marker so I know how far I am moving and where I started from. Last year I had a new string put on and the overzealous fella that did it "helped me out" by moving my rest and fixing my center shot, of course it made things a pain for me this summer to re-tune my rest but luckily I had the rest marked and returned it to normal in short order.

• Like 1