my "dish to pass" for the deer

i hunt a total of maybe 10 acres tops, BUT the whole property is a funnel between large crop fields of soybeans, corn and hay fields loaded with clover.

here are pics of my small contribution to the local herds diet.

Brassicas plot looking north down the swath of trees and brush i cleared for chicory/clover

post-547-0-00806900-1347375525_thumb.jpg

chicory/clover planted this year looking north

post-547-0-74005400-1347375631_thumb.jpg

view from a stand of last years chicory/clover looking south which meshes into the above pic, at the top left of this pic.

post-547-0-12458800-1347375688_thumb.jpg

take a look in the last pic, the entire plot is supposed to be a chicory/clover mix. note in the areas that are a darker green is last years plantings and has no chicory its all clover, all the chicory in the pic was planted this year in areas i cleared out to expand the plot. the deer HAMMERED the chicory

Good stuff.

The chicory plot I planted in the spring is near the size of the 2nd pic, it bombed though. Salvaged it with winter rye / peas, fingers crossed. But definatly plan to try chicory again next spring.

that plot was planted with tecomate seed. and holy crap did it take and grow like none other. the stuff was so thick and tall about 18 inches i didnt use any soil tests or add any fertilizers or nothing, just prepped the seed bed threw the seed before a rain and let nature do its thing. i brush hogged it a week and a half ago i thought i screwed myself mowing so late but its come back really nicely.

i have noticed that the tecomate seed seems to be superior to the other local brand of food plot seed ive used in the past. my brassicas is tecomate as well, and some of that plot is subsoil where we scraped the topsoil off for my front yard and those areas are thin but the rest is thick about 18-20 inches tall with monster leaves

In that last pic is that a rubbing/licking tree branch in the center of the pic? Saw in another post that a guy intentionally planted one (like a fence post) and the deer couldnt pass it up.

yes it is, infact thats where i got the idea from. i am going to leave the cam out until opening day. i did however change the card when i went to put up my stand which was 2 or 3 days after i put in that cedar post and i already have deer licking the branches. so maybe ill have some sweet luck with that this year. time will tell.