Remote Access Trailcam ?

Prices have come down, really to the point some people can justify it based on drive time. Also good for not burning ground checking the cam every few weeks.

The MMS cams can be had for $275 or so if you shop well. Cell plans cost $10-$20, with $20 a month being unlimited. I have one spot where it'd be prime, and if I hadn't spent enough money on my hunting supplies this season, I'd have gotten one. I will definitely have one for next season. The cost benefit can be warranted if you do the math on it...

Say it costs you $20-$25 for a tank of gas for a round trip and you check it 2x per month...($50). You are automatically saving $30 a month on gas. A comparable cam for most of the MMS ones are around $150-$200 for redflash...black flash even more. So, say you spent an extra $125 for the MMS feature ($275 for MMS cam vs. $150 for non-MMS). You'd break even pretty quick over time monetarily...add in your time savings...and it's really even more.

The biggest issue thus far is making sure you have enough bars for service...and some of the programming - it's not always easy. But, once it is up and running...you can warrant the cost pretty quick. People are getting good battery life out of them.

The $20 a month scares many off, but have no qualms spending $50 in gas to check the cam. Obviously the dynamics change if you have multiple cams on a property, but usually these cams are for places where disturbance needs to be minimum and is a good drive away.

Another scenario where it'd be useful - my planned opening day spot has a cam within the area. It's about a 50 min drive for me. I really wanted to check it leaving 3 weeks to cover any disturbance. I had planned a day to make the trip, but family commitments got in the way and this past weekend was also booked for out of state. I never got to the cam, and now it's been there 5+ weeks without a check and I can't check it until opening day now. That intel would have been useful for me...I would have had it had I had the MMS cam.

Edited by phade

I wonder if one of these prepay cell phones packages would work? I would think that since the phone is not being used for calls, the fee for text messages would be minimal. I don't think there is a monthly fee. I may have to look into this again.

its been about a year since i looked into it, with everything on the rise price wise i figured it would still be up there... ive seen units go for as much as 500 just for the unit. id rather buy a reconyx for that much, JMO. if you have to travel to your land to check cams then its easier to justify paying a monthly fee op top of a decent chunk on the cam i guess...

Just purchased a Covert Black opps cam. No monthly fees. You purchase an ATT sim card and buy basic texting plan/ $15-$20 for unlimited texts. You do not need to have ATT just as long as there is ATT service where you put the cam out. You can get text or email{ or both} of pics sent to you as they are taken . Thats it. Very simple. I have looked into other plans and were always too much money. Monthly service fees plus you had to pay extra if you went over a certain amount of pics. This is $15 per month for me I can get one pic or 1,000 pics for $15

Just purchased a Covert Black opps cam. No monthly fees. You purchase an ATT sim card and buy basic texting plan/ $15-$20 for unlimited texts. You do not need to have ATT just as long as there is ATT service where you put the cam out. You can get text or email{ or both} of pics sent to you as they are taken . Thats it. Very simple. I have looked into other plans and were always too much money. Monthly service fees plus you had to pay extra if you went over a certain amount of pics. This is $15 per month for me I can get one pic or 1,000 pics for $15

wait, you said no monthly fees? then you say you pay 15 a month? which is it

Well you usually have to pay any of the cam companies a montly fee just for having the service. The monthly fee covers nothing. You then purchase payment plans based on the amount of pics you want to pay for. So I guess there is a $15 per month fee for the text/pics you receive but that is it. It is for unlimited text and email pics sent from the camera to you.

Cam was $350 . It takes a nice pic also has no visable led's. Reallly cool getting text pics of deer from cam. Cam is made to hold a python lock and is also password protected. Another feature which I never thought about is if anyone everd did steal the cam I will probably have some pics of them doing it. Hope it never happens but nice to know at least they will never be able to use the cam because of the password protection. I own another Covert I purchased a few years ago and that is a good cam also.