Pics thru 9-22-12 (Putnam County -3N)

BizCT

Checked my cams for the first time since Labor Day Weekend.

The spike is still around, as is the red fox. Had a bunch of pics of does as well.

Looks like the spike lost his velvet already?

Got a clearer pic of the bigger buck. Looks like a unique 6, with 3 on 1 side with no brow. 2 on the other side with a brow. Hoping to see this guy opening day of shotgun. The camera is between where I sit and where my father sits. If a buck is headed in my direction, my Dad usually lets it go to me, but if its headed away from me, my Dad will take it.

post-871-0-65440900-1348493056_thumb.jpg

post-871-0-26692200-1348493062_thumb.jpg

post-871-0-10149800-1348493068_thumb.jpg

post-871-0-73464800-1348493074_thumb.jpg

post-871-0-21465600-1348493083_thumb.jpg

In 3N we dont get giant bucks. No food source...most 1.5's are spikes or 4's at most. The 6 is probably 2.5 I guess.

My Dad shot a 7 last year, that was a 3.5, aged by the DEC at the butcher. (below)

post-871-0-98179100-1348508645.jpg

Edited by Biz-R-OWorld

a rack does not prove out and explain the age of a deer biz-roworld... especially how many points a deer has as well... that 6 says young deer all over it. you can have a 10 point that is a 2.5 year old, doesnt matter... but atleast you know that deer has pretty good genetics tho :)

• Like 1

Yeah could be the same one. 1 1/2 for sure. He should be a decent deer next year, let him walk for another year and he will be a real good one!

I hunt on 8 private acres between properties of other other hunters. If hes still around and I see him on 11/17, hes going down. He'd be my 2nd biggest buck of NY

trail cams can get rather addicting lol... goodluck!

For sure. But I only go in once every 3-4 weeks, and make sure to spray down, etc as if I was going in to hunt. So far so good, I have no reason to believe that the cam has spooked anything yet

In 3N we dont get giant bucks. No food source...most 1.5's are spikes or 4's at most. The 6 is probably 2.5 I guess.

My Dad shot a 7 last year, that was a 3.5, aged by the DEC at the butcher. (below)

Just FYI, Putnam County does have some giant bucks. I used to live and hunt there a lot. My dad found a giant 10 point dead, too rotten to tell how it died. I have seen some really big deer over the years over there. They just aren't dumb.

'

Points schmoints. You are never going to kill a mature buck in your area if you kill them all as yearlings. The buck in your pics is a prime example of how ARs are flawed in a big way.

Im hunting 8 acres (not a typo) with hunters all around on the neighboring properties and houses nearby. Any buck is a good one where I hunt.

No AR's where I hunt in 3N. Some lands have it, but not this piece.

Edited by Biz-R-OWorld

Doesnt matter what piece of ground you hunt, My point is that 1 1/2 is not a mature deer. I wasnt sure if you are in an AR zone, but My AR comment was kind of an aside anyway.

If it makes you happy, then by all means, shoot it, but if you are complaining that deer arent big in your area, or hoping for bigger deer in your area, you should be passing on deer like that and letting them grow.

Talk to your neighbors and see if they are willing to do it for a season or two and see what happens, but you have to base it on age, not number of points.

Points schmoints. You are never going to kill a mature buck in your area if you kill them all as yearlings. The buck in your pics is a prime example of how ARs are flawed in a big way.

Not sure what you are saying here? That buck could be shot because he has 3 on one side but a bunch of spikes and fours would make it because of the AR. What do you think the AR should be 4 on one side? Can't do it based on age obviously so what is the answer? I would prefer some type of antler restriction in my area rather than nothing like I currently have. NY in whole could have the same deer that Ohio and Illy have if you ask me. All they have that we don't is beans. The reason they have such rackers is because the have a SHOTGUN ONLY season for a week and they let the huters shoot does. In NY we have a month of high powered rifles and no doe permits being given out. LET THE HUNTERS SHOOT DOES and a SHORT SHOTGUN SEASON would lead to bigger deer. Anywyas it will never happen... Most hunters in NY care about the meat and not the rack so that is just how it is.

Oh yeah and Biz-R my rule is that it has to be a six or better. If that buck is a trophy to you than put it down!!